Peso what level do you see it this year?

Some illuminating comments here. Consensus seems to be that Macri is not extravagantly corrupt but is merely incompetent and a mediocre man in a nice suit. Almost everyone agrees on the vices of populism and the abuse of power by those who begin with much less money than Macri and the elite billionaire families who have run Argentina for decades, but the conservatives and the privileged should be at least more effective than those they replace. As things stand the Kircheners can claim credit for the first 6-7 years of power and economic recovery. Corrupt yes but effective in the short to medium term. Macrismo has been an utter shambles. So why hope desperately for his re election? His most remarkable achievement has been to make what seemed inconceivable now possible - the reelection of Christina despite her transparent flaws and failings. What a guy.

Some illuminating comments here. Consensus seems to be that Macri is not extravagantly corrupt but is merely incompetent and a mediocre man in a nice suit. Almost everyone agrees on the vices of populism and the abuse of power by those who begin with much less money than Macri and the elite billionaire families who have run Argentina for decades, but the conservatives and the privileged should be at least more effective than those they replace. As things stand the Kircheners can claim credit for the first 6-7 years of power and economic recovery. Corrupt yes but effective in the short to medium term. Macrismo has been an utter shambles. So why hope desperately for his re election? His most remarkable achievement has been to make what seemed inconceivable now possible - the reelection of Christina despite her transparent flaws and failings. What a guy.

One of the best posts on this topic.

As long as they can print the economy will be a mess. The only solution is to take away that power.

Printing fiat currency to fund deficits -- provided a government can do so -- is an irresistible temptation, like crack cocaine to an incorrigible addict. Argentina has been addicted for decades. But the USA has been doing the same since the last vestiges of gold backing were removed in 1971. The key difference of course is that Argentina's external debt is denominated in USD, which it can't control, while USA's debt is denominated in its own currency, which affords it more latitude. In particular the latitude to inflate itself out of a completely untenable situation, leaving the rubes and marks holding dollars with only a fraction of their previous purchasing power. This happened more abruptly in Argentina in 2001, when the peso peg against the dollar fell from parity to 3-to-1.

To clear my point, the main reason to replace the peso with another stable currency has nothing to do with the value of that bill.
The main point will be that, unable to print money, it will force to cut costs and eliminate the goverment deficit, something that every goverment here has failed to do for decades.
Once this is achieved, a new peso, lean and mean, could be reinstated, free of goverment corruption (maybe).

Mar 8, 2019
I believe this to be a temporary blip and maybe reach 50 pesos per dollar before accomodating to 43 pesos for a determined time . But after the elections all bets are off and from my information it will reach over 70 pesos by December 2019

Ceviche
Registered

Mar 8, 2019
perry said:
my information it will reach over 70 pesos by December 2019
Sorry Sir. You have wrong info.

Ceviche replied to me on March 8 2019 and the dollar is nearly 70 pesos to buy . By the end of the year it will be more likely close to 100 pesos or more . I personally believe a massive devaluation is on the cards very soon based on economic information I have. I do not mean to scare people but a hyperdevaluation like 2001 is completely possible in the next year .

Last edited:
Perry, with total respect. Please tell me where can one go and change usd to get 70 peso today.

Contado con liqui is about 70. This is what you get if you give the usd abroad but receive the pesos here.

When this topic was discussed at the beginning of the year very few people believed that the peso would reach 70 per dollar . The blue rate to sell today is 66.25 and the contado con liqui over 70 pesos . Just the hint of the Peronists winning at the Paso caused a plunge of the currency 20% overnight . If Alberto Fernandez wins expect a large swing downwards .

I got 55 paying in store a month ago western union never gave me more than central bank times are a changing

Back