Pesos to depreciate slower with current controls?

Dipoots

Registered
Hi,

First post to this forum. Have been in BsAs since last Oct.

Question is if the rate of depreciation for peso will slow down now that that it is virtually impossible for common folks to get approval from AFIP to exchange for dollars.... What do you think?

I was also checking out XE.com and was looking at a 1 year chart of peso vs dollar, and found that it seems that it is almost a linear depreciation since last June. Each month depreciated about 0.9%. And now with the controls in place, do you think the official depreciation rate will slow? Or stay flat with the dollars coming from the exports of grains, wheat, soy and what notsss, now that harvest season is over..

Thanks.

Dipoots said:
Hi,

First post to this forum. Have been in BsAs since last Oct.

Question is if the rate of depreciation for peso will slow down now that that it is virtually impossible for common folks to get approval from AFIP to exchange for dollars.... What do you think?

I was also checking out XE.com and was looking at a 1 year chart of peso vs dollar, and found that it seems that it is almost a linear depreciation since last June. Each month depreciated about 0.9%. And now with the controls in place, do you think the official depreciation rate will slow? Or stay flat with the dollars coming from the exports of grains, wheat, soy and what notsss, now that harvest season is over..

Thanks.
Considering that the perceived gap between the official rate and the street rate is about 30% I don't see how that (slowing of depreciation) could conceivably occur. The pressure is immense and I don't see that easing.

Supply and Demand. If regular folks want dollars that become harder to get officially it'll just force them to find other ways, they'll find the way and pay more for it. The last time I was in Venezuela, the official rate was about 4.3. The unofficial rate was about 8.5. Similar currency control policies...

Yep and and while the government keeps printing money (ok sure they are no the only govt in the world to do this) it wont help.

Back