Pet transportation questions...


Oct 24, 2008
My husband and I would like to bring our cat back to Buenos Aires to live with us and wonder if anyone has any helpful information they could share with us regarding quarentine laws, vaccination requirements, etc...
Thank you so much.
What is your importing country? If you come from the US you need a rabies certificate original (2 copies), health certificate (original and 2 copies) this dated within 10 days of departure date. and Annual Vaccinations. The Kennel needs to have room for the pet to stand up and move around, head must NOT touch the top, to 2 dishes securely attached to door, absorbent material on Kennel floor, and live animal labels on it. Our pets spent an hour at EZE just to make sure they had the proper forms. Good Luck
here is our list given to us by our pet movers:

Before beginning the import procedures, make sure that your vet is approved by the Government Veterinarian Authority in the country of origin. For example, if an animal is departing the United States, the vet will need to be USDA Accredited.

Requirements in Summary

1) Microchip: Each Pet shall be identified by means of a microchip. No other form of identification is acceptable. The microchip used should comply with ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO standard 11785- otherwise the pet will need to be sent with it’s own scanner attached to the top of the crate.

2) All animals need to have Full Vaccinations:

Dogs: Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvo, Leptospirosis, (DHLPP) Corona Virus, Parainfluenza, and Rabies within the last 12 months or a minimum of 4 weeks before arrival.

Cats: Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus, Panleukopenia (FVRCP), and Rabies within the last 12 months or a minimum of 4 weeks before arrival.

3) International Health Certificate: Your vet should have these in stock. It’s a good idea to call ahead and ask. This is an international health certificate that needs to be completed by your vet within 10 days of departure. This form need to also state that the US is free of African Horse sickness and Rift Valley Fever and that your pet(s) have not traveled to regions affected with these diseases.

Depending on the logistics of your particular pet relocation and the specific health certificate being used (APHIS Form 7001) an additional USDA Endorsement maybe required on this health certificate. Speak to your specialist regarding the USDA portion of this process.

4) USDA Endorsement: The below referenced forms:

  • Microchip Implantation Record
  • Vaccine Certificate(s)
  • International Health Certificate – APHIS Form 7001

All documents above must be sent to your local USDA for their stamp of approval. Please contact your representative on the best way of handling this.

5) All original documentation must travel with the pets.
that is very helpful information! I will be bringing my 2 cats in december and have done some research as well.

DO NOT DRUG YOUR CAT. Not even a little to calm them down. It could be fatal. Also make sure the airline you choose will have the correct accommodations for your animal. Some airlines dont have climate controlled luggage area, so you cant fly the animals during very hot or cold temperatures. I know that Continental Airlines has the proper accommodations and it will only be about $260 each cat, each way. Call the airlines you are using to hear what they have to offer.

It seems pretty easy except getting the docs to the USDA for stamping. It just makes me nervous to depend on a governmental office to perform it's duties in a timely fashion..... but that's just me. :)
Continental tends to have the better accommodations for the pets. Don't drug them. One of our dogs (1/5) are scared of noises, but we didn't drug her, because our vet told us that if the plane has bad turbulence than the dog won't be able to stable itself; therefore, she would have more hard. Also, it is best to put an article of clothing you have worn in the crate, so they have something that smells like you. I wear my hubbies wife beaters since they are cheap to replace. We are getting ready to move all five dogs back and one cat.
I used Continental as that was who the company I worked with found had the best accommindations for the pets.

Just be sure to make copies of all the originals and keep them with you.

Talk to your Vet there was also something about cutting back on their food prior to flying...more water I believe...has been a few years since I shipped our cat.

The turn around for the USDA was very quick I do remember and they were very efficient.

NO DRUGS for your can kill them. If need be and they are nervous in the kennels give them some "Bach Flower Rescue Remedy"....drops in their water or on their this for a good week prior to the trip. Available at any health food store.

Our cat traveled just fine...hope it works well for you and your cat. Oh one thing I did learn is NO airlines will transport animals from a very hot climate to a very hot check on this. We did travel in late December here and it was no it was Winter when we left and hot here but not health risk hot for the animal.
Just keep in mind, all the Continental pushers, on your return trip you will be charged $800 USD per pet to bring them back. Just something to think about. The rates are different for going back than for arriving to Buenos Aires.
JoeKelly711 said:
It seems pretty easy except getting the docs to the USDA for stamping. It just makes me nervous to depend on a governmental office to perform it's duties in a timely fashion..... but that's just me. :)

You only need a vet who is approved by the USDA to issue the documents, you don't need to send them to the USDA at all. The vet's form is a USDA document.
We will be arriving from Germany with our cat on Saturday on Lufthansa. We did the following to prepare:

*Mircrochip (she had that alread in Dec 2007)
*Rabies shot in March 2009 as well as RCP
*EU pet passport (in German EU Heimtierausweis) yes there is such a thing. It documents the vaccinations with the label from the vaccine and vets signature. This is actually required for our return to Germany.
*5 days before we travelled we took the cat to the Government official Vetenirary office (in German called the Städtisches Veterinäramt) . They filled out an International Health Certificate which was in German and Spanish. Basically it stated the name of the owner, DOB of the cat, Microchip number and that they verified she looked healthy at that time. Lots of official stamps on the document.
*I translated the page on her Pet Passport that verified her rabies and RCP vaccines as well as wrote in Spanish what the vet wrote in German. e.g. Vet wrote Katze I wrote Gato next to it.
*With Lufthansa the weight of the cat and carrier could not exceed 8kg in order to have her in the cabin with us. She is under 8kg and will be travelling under the seat in front of us. We have a Sherpa brand pet carrier that meets airline regulations see link: We also purchased these pads for the carrier called Dry Fur in case she has an accident see link: We have stopped feeding her about 8 hrs before the flight, but left her water to drink.
*On Lufthansa we paid 30€ per kilo weight for her to travel with us in the cabin - about 210€.

Will post an update on Monday and let you know how it goes. We have a some USD with us as we hear there is a fee to get her in.
Cujodu....My vet was approved and we still had to send the forms she filled out to the USDA for approval / stamping whatever...maybe this is different from state to state or the rules have changed in the last 2 years.