Ph (Propiedad Horizontal) - Pros And Cons?

I'm equally partial towards apartment or PH living.
Our last place was an apartment in the wonderful La Algodonera. Best apartment I've habited in BA. Now, because we have two dogs we are in a PH estilo casa with large terrace and patio. I miss the excellent facilities and security of the apartment, and the PH was certainly humid when we arrived*, though it is taken care of now, I like the honda of a handsome PH.
For purchase, well, if I was buying for myself I would go for a PH. For a managed property either, If I was buying for an investment in which I would be absent, I would definitely go for an apartment, as long as the building was well administered.

*Story is that the realtors screwed us over but the owner was pretty good about it:
We looked over the house a final time before signing two weeks before we moved in. There were workmen in to replace the leaky terrace and do some other jobs but otherwise everything checked out as in order. We were reassured by the realtor that the house would be in a good state and habitable before our move in date as detailed in the contract.
The day we moved in we see that the work is half finished. I had to finish sealing the terrace and clearing set concrete from around the house, tar and sealant left glued to all surfaces, dirty used bathrooms, broken panes of glass from carelessness and to top it off the ceiling collapsed in on day 2.
Realtors wouldn't answer our phone calls or emails. They had our money. We were ready to move out right then and start a jucio to get our money back (contract clearly states that the house is delivered in a habitable state). The owner thankfully answered our call and said we could go rent free until all the problems were taken care of, about 2 months of DIY which we billed him for hours and all. As we are near Juan B. Justo, all the walls on the ground floor needed to be stripped, gouged, filled and repainted. The terrace problems led to us having to knock in the ceilings and re-plaster.

On the plus side I got to know the place intimately during this time and learnt some new DIY skills :D

I just wanted to say thank you to everybody who contributed to this thread! SO much great info! Much appreciated. I am still looking, have been checking out PHs in Villa Crespo, Palermo, Chacarita and Caballito. I still like most the one I saw first, though...

I've been living in a PH for a month and totally love it! I'm lucky that the one I'm in has relatively few problems. It's the same price I was paying for an apartment and 100xs better in so many ways...Suerte!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Expat Life 0
Back