Phisically carrying USD

genialf

Registered
Hey, I need some tips about how to take cash into Argentina. I'm taking less than 10,000 USD but they don't fit in my wallet... how do you guys do it and what do you suggest?

genialf said:
Hey, I need some tips about how to take cash into Argentina. I'm taking less than 10,000 USD but they don't fit in my wallet... how do you guys do it and what do you suggest?

I use a money belt. Also, its winter time so you can wear a jacket with a gazillion pockets and no one's going to think you're suspicious.

By the way, it IS legal to carry money below USD 15,000 (I think they revised it to that from 10,000) without declaring it. But I might be wrong so someone correct me if that's the case.

It is actually legal to carry into Argentina as much cash as you want. But:

1) everything over USD10.000,- has to be declared upon arrival
2) you do not really want to have to declare anything. Then you might be victim of different chicanas, which unless you are an experienced Argentine could make you
feel unsure and eventually lead to giving up some money to get through. Moreover -and this also applies for experienced Argentines- the people you declare the money to might contact chorros waiting for you on the highway on your way to the city.

I just carry it in folded up stacks tucked well in between the far corners of pages of magazines and newspapers. I would not declare anything NI EN PEDO, not that I travel with large sums or anything.

Is the $10,000 limit an Argentine limit? I know the US has such a limit - although all you have to do is declare it and you can bring it in/out.

US Customs actually created an odorant that is now put on money nearly everywhere. It can be detected by money-sniffing dogs. (Wouldn't like one of those!!)

Cheers, RR

I put some (small amount, maybe 500) in my wallet. The rest is usually in envelops I zip inside of something else (pockets in purse, jacket, etc).

I try not to be *too* crafty since that causes more problems than its worth with having to worry about forgetting where I put it or it falling out, etc. So I just put it someplace out of sight but basic.

Back