Phisically carrying USD

TomAtAlki said:
No charge. Really. I was charged between 1 and 2%. Who do you use?

Have you checked recently (since the new currency controls and YPF debacle?) I used to be charged 1-2% for this also, but now they do it for free and can even PAY YOU. I got a quote today for 0.25% payment. If I bring in $10k, they pay me $10,025 USD here. :)

Check with any financiera. I'm sure mine is not that special at all. Everyone is trying to get dollars out of Argentina right now, so for the few people who want to bring them in, it is great news for all of us.

If you take $10,000 out of Argentina and carry it in a money belt or something like that, do they make you remove it and put it through the machine? That could be a serious problem. Anyone have experience with this?

10,000$ in hundred dollar bills is a very small stack . Only about one half inch thick [maybe 5/8"] There is no need to get too crafty about carrying something that fits into a pocket or your socks.

Do it the old prison way!!!! You might wanna go for 100 dollar bills and not one dollar bills if you do it that way!!!!! Hahaha!

Just don't put any $$ or valuables in your check-in luggage. The customs "inspectors" are known for taking things out of suitcases before you receive them. A few days ago 15 of these "chorros" were taken in.

el_expatriado said:
Have you checked recently (since the new currency controls and YPF debacle?) I used to be charged 1-2% for this also, but now they do it for free and can even PAY YOU. I got a quote today for 0.25% payment. If I bring in $10k, they pay me $10,025 USD here. :)

Check with any financiera. I'm sure mine is not that special at all. Everyone is trying to get dollars out of Argentina right now, so for the few people who want to bring them in, it is great news for all of us.
Can you please give us an example of the companies you are talking about? Are these casas de cambio?

My concern would be centered on what ground transportation you use after your arrival at EZE. No time for shopping around for the lowest bidder. Stay with reputable airport taxis services and you will be OK.

sergio said:
If you take $10,000 out of Argentina and carry it in a money belt or something like that, do they make you remove it and put it through the machine? That could be a serious problem. Anyone have experience with this?

I always use a money belt tucked under the waistband of my jeans, and no guard has ever noticed or asked me about it.

such a a paranoid bunch..I used to carry over 20,000 usd in my hand luggage every year, went trhough a scanner in the US, no problem..never declare. Moeny-sniffing dogs? You watch too many bad movies! They don't even detect knives or weed!! Not that I encourage anyone to do it :)

Well, carrying 20K and not declaring it isn't exactly a smart decision. If they had found it, they could have confiscated it since you didn't declare it.

10K is the limit to carry without needing to declare it. Not once have I ever really worried about carrying that amount nor are any super secret precautions required IMO. Just put it in an envelop and put the envelop in a secure location (I prefer zipped pocket in my purse). Take an authorized taxi from airport if you don't have ride. Easy peasy.

Back