Photographers and creative people living in BA

alyonav

Registered
Hi!

I'm a photographer and will be in BA March 15-25. I hope to meet some creative people who like jazz, alternative music and photography.
Anyone?
I would also appreciate if you could let me know any small cool venues for the live music. I will be staying in Palermo Hollywood.

Thank you!!!

Alyona V
www.alyonavogelmann.com

alyonav said:
Hi!
I'm a photographer and will be in BA March 15-25. I hope to meet some creative people who like jazz, alternative music and photography.
I would also appreciate if you could let me know any small cool venues for the live music.
Alyona V
www.alyonavogelmann.com

Dear Alyona, Hi, Nice Website/Portfolio (from one photographer to another). I don't live in Buenos Aires (yet) but have visited many times (I'm in Los Angeles at the moment). On the music front you ask about, may I suggest that since you are going to be in Argentina TANGO would be something I'd seek out first before looking for Jazz or Alternative music. Tango is taken very seriously in Argentina/Buenos Aires - it is not just a thing for tourists to do/see like say the tourist heavy French cabarets shows at the Moulin Rouge or Crazy Horse (?) in Paris.

I believe the more authentic Tango Clubs are in the San Telmo neighborhood (that's where I always go). Go during the week (less crowded - more freedom of movement for Photography), go late (less people, seems a bit more authentic), and take your camera (with one or two 16 GB memory cards - always end up shooting a lot). I have many excellent "blur shots" that really capture the feel - people seem to really like them super mucho (slightly to my surprise). Anyway, best of luck and bon voyage, Dudester

PS Be careful with the Taxi's late at night - can be a bit tricky, best to go with some locals if possible (or have the doormen at the Tango Clubs help you)....

Thank you, Dudester! Tango is on my radar, too! Definitely want to try myself and photograph! It would be great to see your photos if you could share.

Any particular places that you would recommend?

Thanks again!
A

Hi Alyona,

In addition to tango I would recommend going to a few Jineteadas (Argentine rodeo) to get a real feel for Gaucho life. These are very non commercial, country events where all the genuine gauchos dress up in their traditional gear, listen to bands, eat asado (you buy suckling pig at 30 pesos a kilo - bring your own knife), watch the rodeo and talk about horses (the argentine passion). The people are incredibly friendly and the horses amazingly wild. It is hard to take a bad photo at these events - I know because while my girlfriend is a photographer by trade, I am a rank amateur and even some of mine were brilliant. There is so much natural character on show that the skill is really just being non intrusive and getting to chat to them.

We would be delighted to take you to one, or some decent polo games if that interests you.

Miles

By the way, there is no lack of Jazz here, I think there has been 3 jazz festivals in the 3 months we have been here and there is something woth seeing every night (for around 20 pesos - bargain!).

alyonav said:
Thank you, Dudester! Tango is on my radar, too! Definitely want to try myself and photograph! It would be great to see your photos if you could share.

Any particular places that you would recommend?

Thanks again!
A
Dear Alyonav,
I'll E-mail you some work/shots and website sometime today. Also will try to find the names of the clubs I went to... Dudester

As a photographer, Argentina will be a paradise for you eyes. I m not a professional but everyday, i m filled with the beauty of the environment that so few people seem to notice.

Take some spare cards, you might shoot more than you expected to. Beauty is everywhere, from people to nature, from architecture to skies. Atypical, contrasting, stunning, shocking, Argentina will give you a lot, saturate your sensations, enhance your emotions.

You ll be like a kid in a candy store, a flipper ball in full action.

Welcome to your pleasure dome.:)

fifilafiloche-albums-beautiful-argentina-picture175-natural-kindness-beauty-has-no-age.jpg

But i dont qualify for your search of "creative" people, since i don t create, i just catch emotions that are already in the air.

Fifilafiloche: of course, you qualify! Nice portrait, great expression!
The way you capture emotions makes you a creative individual.
Thanks again!

alyona

Miles Lewis said:
Hi Alyona,

In addition to tango I would recommend going to a few Jineteadas (Argentine rodeo) to get a real feel for Gaucho life. These are very non commercial, country events where all the genuine gauchos dress up in their traditional gear, listen to bands, eat asado (you buy suckling pig at 30 pesos a kilo - bring your own knife), watch the rodeo and talk about horses (the argentine passion). The people are incredibly friendly and the horses amazingly wild. It is hard to take a bad photo at these events - I know because while my girlfriend is a photographer by trade, I am a rank amateur and even some of mine were brilliant. There is so much natural character on show that the skill is really just being non intrusive and getting to chat to them.

We would be delighted to take you to one, or some decent polo games if that interests you.

Miles

Miles: it's SO nice of you to offer! I sent you email but not sure if you got it. I hope to meet you and your girlfriend in March!

Alyona

Back