Photographers and creative people living in BA

Dudester: looking forward to seeing your work!

Also, I wonder how safe it is to walk with a camera...taking pictures in the city...
Thanks!

Alyona

Hey Alyonav!

I recommend you capture the thriving street art going around buenos aires, i will also be going to shows, mostly indie bands and would definitely let you know where the shows are! See you then

Miles Lewis said:
Hi Alyona,

In addition to tango I would recommend going to a few Jineteadas (Argentine rodeo) to get a real feel for Gaucho life. These are very non commercial, country events where all the genuine gauchos dress up in their traditional gear, listen to bands, eat asado (you buy suckling pig at 30 pesos a kilo - bring your own knife), watch the rodeo and talk about horses (the argentine passion). The people are incredibly friendly and the horses amazingly wild. It is hard to take a bad photo at these events - I know because while my girlfriend is a photographer by trade, I am a rank amateur and even some of mine were brilliant. There is so much natural character on show that the skill is really just being non intrusive and getting to chat to them.

We would be delighted to take you to one, or some decent polo games if that interests you.

Miles

Races in Catamarca

fifilafiloche-albums-beautiful-argentina-picture169-dual-horse-races-animate-villages-over-week-ends.jpg

Gaucho in La Rioja

fifilafiloche-albums-beautiful-argentina-picture174-smile-desert-storm-beware-your-teeth.jpg

Gauchos in Neuquen

fifilafiloche-albums-beautiful-argentina-picture155-merinos-goats-living-gold-gauchos.jpg

Gauchos in Buenos Aires

15840_197293251456_616956456_3769281_4814734_n.jpg

alyonav said:

Also, I wonder how safe it is to walk with a camera...taking pictures in the city...
Thanks!

Alyona

Good point, you need to be careful. I could lend you my taxi driver (who has been a friend for seven years) and he could drive you round and keep you out of trouble. My girlfriend always uses him if we are not going in the same direction. It's pretty safe here generally but you still have to be careful.

alyonav said:

Thanks!

Alyona

{begin:FamousLastWords} I've never had a camera stolen from me {end} but on the presumption that it is going to happen one day, I don't use big SD cards, only small SD cards - lots of them - and change them regularly. Cameras can be replaced.

I love photography and I'd be happy to show you around. I'm an American living here and I love this city. There is a lot to photograph all over the city but I haven't gotten around to much of it. I really want to do a series on the tango one day.

As far as safety, if you are with other people, you aren't in great danger of having it stolen, especially if the other people don't mind looking out for you. I don't recommend going around with your camera alone in certain areas of the city, and never at night.

I love photography and I love this city. I'm living here with my girlfriend, and we'd be happy to show you around town.

alyonav said:
I would also appreciate if you could let me know any small cool venues for the live music.

A few weeks ago I went to Thelonious Club in Palermo-I'd read about it in a couple books so I didn't know what to expect (if anything full of tourists?) However, it was a great space-very intimate and the band was GREAT if you like Jazz. It isn't very well marked though (walked past it 3 times) so keep your eyes peeled! It might be just what you're looking for?

Hope this helps!

Milongas:

Practica X on tuesdays has some awesome more dynamic dancing -nuevo style-

Salon Canning- Parakultural on Mondays is more traditional and a beautifully lit space

el Beso- sundays- also traditional

Villa Malcolm- thursdays- dark but this is an Iconic tango club that hosts big events almost every night of the week- wed, thurs and friday are all good. Particularly good decorations on thursday (Soho Tango, Tango Lab, Tango Cool)

Gay tango- Maipu 444 wednesdays- la marchall- and Peru 571 tuesdays- Tango Queer

Never been, but apparently a milonga called "Catedral" is in a stunning space.. not sure which night though.

Hope you see some good stuff! Google any of the names I have posted here and you should find info.

Anna

Hello,

I would love to help you as we are running Tango Dance lessons in the Buenos Aires.

If you wish to contact us please use the below link to contact us and we will help you.

Carlos

Argentina Tango

Back