Photography Club

nattybug

Registered
Hi everybody!

My name is Natasha and I have been reading this board for quite a while, but have never actually joined until today. I work semi-professionally as a photographer here in Buenos Aires and have always wanted to form some kind of photography club. I'm writing here to gauge interest.

I envision of club of intermediate to advanced photographers, who use relatively advanced equipment who will meet weekly to show and discuss their work and share ideas. Additionally, if interest is sufficient, we could do things like share the costs of renting a space once a week, get a web-site, maybe hire models or even plan an excursion like a photo trip to various parts of town or places nearby.

I do NOT see this as a money making venture. I believe I have ideas to share and I know that some of you do too. What do you think?

I have never been in a photography club but I love photography. The problem here is that I am arfaid to come outside with my "relatively advanced equipment" unless I have a "big strong man" to carry my stuff and/or protect me (or rather my camera).:eek: My husband used to accompany me but now that we live here someone has to work. Maybe when I am not alone there are other ways to go out "safely" with a camera?

I am now experimenting with studiophotography as it seems a lot safer here in BA.

Yes I am interested.

Hey, I also like to take photos and I think the foto club idea sounds fun. I'd enjoy getting together and shooting in some location, if possible. I do agree with Katti however...I have some 'advanced equipment' that I've not taken outside my apartment, yet, out of hesitation....

but yeah, I'm interested in the foto get togethers....let me know

Daniel

Hi guys,

My girlfriend (who is a keen photographer with a lot of kit) and I arrived here a few days ago and intend to stay for a couple of years. I have also spent a lot of time here over the last few years. First, B.A. is not as dangerous as people seem to think and if there are a couple of you, you are unlikely to encounter a problem. Second, my taxi driver who I have known for 7 years and is a relatively large bloke (and also the safest driver in BA and capable of sorting anything out) is happy to accompany us (and presumably others) on any kind of excursion so if you need some local assistance he could help.

Maybe an ambulant photography club is required??

I believe BA is not as dangerous as people seem to think, unless you have a large camera around your neck...:eek:

My husband already suggested I'd look for a university student/rugby player to accompany (and protect) me....

it's not only a question of 'dangerous' but what the value of what you're shooting with is....a replaceable digital SLR vs a film camera no longer in production....at least that's where my hesitation stems....

Daniel

talktalk said:
it's not only a question of 'dangerous' but what the value of what you're shooting with is....a replaceable digital SLR vs a film camera no longer in production....at least that's where my hesitation stems....

Daniel

Everything is replacable as long as you have the money. I know if my equipment were stolen I won't sleep for a couple of nights and won't replace it for a long time. So yes, BA is dangerous to me (when I have my camera with me).

katti said:
My husband already suggested I'd look for a university student/rugby player to accompany (and protect) me....

Your husband... really trusts you!! :D

katti said:
Everything is replacable as long as you have the money. I know if my equipment were stolen I won't sleep for a couple of nights and won't replace it for a long time. So yes, BA is dangerous to me (when I have my camera with me).

I agree, and I don't have the money ;(

Great! I am really glad to hear there is some interest.

My idea on how to begin is to meet and show 10 prints of our work to one another. If you don't have any prints with you, you can put some photos on a memory stick and we can look at them on my computer. My preference is to meet once a week or bi-monthly and we share our on-going photography (or older work) and receive and give feedback. Then possibly once or twice a month we arrange an outing (with a big brute of course).

Or another idea is: One week: we shoot photos in the street in Barrio Chino (for example). Second week: we get together and show the 10 best shots from our photography outing, Third week: another outing and so on. It is also a great way to explore the city.

For the next 4 days I'll be shooting a polo tournament in the campo so I will be unable to respond to posts. But I look forward to reading your responses when I return.

All the best to you.

Natasha

Back