Photography on the streets of Buenos Aires

Macanudo

Registered
I am planning to shoot a Tango documentary with a high definition video camera when I return to Buenos Aires in February. I am concerned that someone my grab my new Canon T2i Rebel camera, or pickpockets my target me, if I shoot on the streets, especially on Florida. Any recommendations? http://lamilongadel126.blogspot.com/

Yes, by all means invest AND wear a moneybelt under your shirt. Make sure there is a zippered inner pouch for passport, credit cards, and 100 peso notes. Keep the smaller stuff in a regular wallet and put in a buttoned pocket. If you are shooting alone, make sure that you have a grip or man-Friday along for the shoot. Yes, it could be stolen but if you have an extra person, preferably strapped to the device, then that should keep *ahem* bad things from developing.

I agree that you have to be alert but just don't worry about it too much. I have spent quite a few days walking the streets of BA with my Nikon D3 equipped with a lens - total value around $10,000 when I bought it. And I never had an incident.

Of course, I didn't go to La Boca at midnight. Don't push your luck and use your common sense. Cover the camera with a jacket if you feel the surroundings are a bit dodgy. Wrap the camera strap around your wrist. And then try to focus on what you're shooting - and not thieves. Your documentary will get much better that way :)

I would second what Anders says, just adding to beware of a thousand and one well meaning Portenos coming and telling you to be careful, because there are thieves about.;)

tangobob said:
I would second what Anders says, just adding to beware of a thousand and one well meaning Portenos coming and telling you to be careful, because there are thieves about.;)
I've had a policeman tell me "Cuidado los bolivianos" when I was taking a picture with a digital point-and-shoot at night.

Also, I've been told by a lady who works at a newsstand that her son now lives in Spain because "hay demasiado paraguayos aca" and they are probably the ones responsible for recently breaking into her apartment.

So the locals are very comfortable telling you who to look out for.

Back