Picking up money without ID

Orionch

Registered
This may seem like I'm reaching for the impossible but I'm currently in a situation where my passport is expired, waiting for my renewed one to be sent via mail, and I need a way to have money sent to me so that I have cash in hand. Does anyone know of any companis/agencies that allow you to pick up money with just a code or answering a security question or something of the like? I know Western Union offers this service in the states but don't think it's an option internationally. Any suggestions provided would be MUCH appreciated.

There has to be someone you can trust?

Because if there is no one, then you need to evaluate knowing some better people.

what about you? can I trust you? I'd seriously pay someone like 500 pesos just to go with me to withdraw a money shipment :/

This may seem like I'm reaching for the impossible but I'm currently in a situation where my passport is expired, waiting for my renewed one to be sent via mail, and I need a way to have money sent to me so that I have cash in hand. Does anyone know of any companis/agencies that allow you to pick up money with just a code or answering a security question or something of the like? I know Western Union offers this service in the states but don't think it's an option internationally. Any suggestions provided would be MUCH appreciated.
I went to WU with my passport that was marked “invalidated”. Not a problem at all. Are you sure that you cant get money with the expired passport?
And then there is the option to go with a friend to WU. A third option would be to send money to a local broker with a USD account in the US. But this again is a question of trust

you can use a friend....don't tell the friend the sending code until you both go pick up the money. Easy.

I went to WU with my passport that was marked “invalidated”. Not a problem at all. Are you sure that you cant get money with the expired passport?
And then there is the option to go with a friend to WU. A third option would be to send money to a local broker with a USD account in the US. But this again is a question of trust

I've always used Xoom and yes they don't let you pick up the money with an expired passport. I guess I should just try WU then? I have a joint bank account with my mother in the US, but no bank card on hand and so I need some way to transfer it to me somewhere with cash pickup. Anyway, thanks for the info!

I've always used Xoom and yes they don't let you pick up the money with an expired passport. I guess I should just try WU then? I have a joint bank account with my mother in the US, but no bank card on hand and so I need some way to transfer it to me somewhere with cash pickup. Anyway, thanks for the info!
Yes, you should definitely try Western Union (and then continue to use WU) instead of XOOM. Western Union's exchange rate has been much better than XOOM's for the past 18 months, though at 1 USD = 136,8422 ARS, it is possible that XOOM's rate today is closer to WU's rate of 1.00 USD = 155.9300 ARS than it has been in previous year and a half.

Yes, you should definitely try Western Union (and then continue to use WU) instead of XOOM. Western Union's exchange rate has been much better than XOOM's for the past 18 months, though at 1 USD = 136,8422 ARS, it is possible that XOOM's rate today is closer to WU's rate of 1.00 USD = 155.9300 ARS than it has been in previous year and a half.

My understanding was that Xoom charges a fixed fee ($5 for every transaction) wheras WU takes a percentage so when sending larger amounts of money it ends up costing you more? But if I'm wrong about that then that's very good to know!

Back