Piracy/ Intelectual Property

Fabe

Registered
Wanted to start this thread , not sure it hasnt been discussed before.
What are your thoughts on the rampant theft of intelectual property and the culture of software piracy here in argentina ?
I hear many excuses from the locals, none of witch i can moraly justify.

i counted Microsoft as one of my clients here back in 94. They used to buy a service from us. Their latin american operations were based here . Are they even still here ?
its sad tha its that verry attitude that stifles inovation. I for one would not only not write a line of code here , I wouldnt even expose my product to be sole/stolen in this country .

Although piracy is large here on a personal level it is not as large as you think with business here and of course microsoft is still here. I was a partner in a computer store here for over 10 years and i can tell you that more and more the pcs leave with legal licenses for at least the operating system.
At the office where i work there is global policy of no illegal software and we actively make sure that it is that way. While it is true the average argentine at home does not have all the legal software it is also true that for many years argentina was being charged by microsoft more than 3 times the cost of the same soft in the states when their local cost was no where near that and the average wage in argentina was much lower than the states...so both sides caused it..

Fabe said:
i counted Microsoft as one of my clients here back in 94. They used to buy a service from us. Their latin american operations were based here . Are they even still here ?

They do seem to have a nice office building next to Puerto Madero at Bouchard.

Actually , most of the buissinesses Ive seen do just that , id say all the buissinesses i know of all have their entire infrastructure based on pirated software . Im not saying yours doesnt , and think its a great thing to have that policy in place. I mean , even at a local isp that was the case.
The cost thing is in the top ten or may even be the top ten rationalisation that I see people give here. Please explain so I can understand about MS pricing. At the exchange rate you mean , or relatively more expensive than in the states ?
Im not going to get into the level of Ms evil, but im interested about that pricing structure you mentioned.
I see pirated software everywhere , complete dupes sold everywhere. Not to mention all the pirates audio/ music. I think Id be hard pressed to find a place that sells legit software.

As i said the place i am responsible for is 100 pct legal soft...however

I remember there were time when the os from ms in the states was available in a new pc for as low as 40 us while at the same moment the exact license in buenos aires was minimum 120 US as while in the states they offered at the time many types o flcense in arg at that time no.. this went on for a number of years to where even large companies had tough time justifying...Those that could bought them when they traveled in the states and used them here which ms had to accept (legal license) but the practise of not buying legal really began then here.

Actually , I think it began when argentines started refilling Bic lighters at any kiosco . ( meaning its a cultural thing getting over on "the man " here)

Back