Pissing off the wrong person in BS AS

dani28

Registered
I know many on here have shared numerous experiences dealing with some of their nasty run-ins with the locals, usually having to do with a crooked landlord, but not always necessarily.

I am curious, as someone who is living outside of your natural turf (the country in which you are from or have citizenship) do you worry about pissing off the wrong person here and causing problems/issues for yourself?

I have recently had a situation which is somewhat laughable but I must admit it did make me realise that perhaps as someone not living (yet) as a legal citizen of this country, I may be subject to whatever BS someone (in this case a local) decides to bring my way and not able to defend myself as freely as I would elsewhere.

Someone whom I (politely) rejected to go out on a date with and apparently is not used to hearing no as an answer, even though I repeat, I was polite about this, is appparently someone in the world of the public sector (no one THAT important but apparently this person does work in a higher management role) they have basically gone into a wild maniacal rage and angrily said that they are going to do everything in their power to report me for over-extending my stay and do everything in their power to make sure no one hires me (i am currently job hunting) and basically make me sorry for having turned down the date offer. How this would be possible, aside from them faxing a photo to every company, with a note DONT HIRE, I do not know (they do not know who i am interviewing with or even where i live at this moment)

As I said, I am taking this particular situation a bit humorously, but it did make me thing for awhile on the ¨what if¨ of pissing off the right person and causing issues for yourself. Does anybody else often think of this? Any experiences to share?

My frequently hysterical and occasionally violent Argentine girlfriend threatened to have me deported (after I fled the relationship) because I told her I paid $100 to the vet at EZE to allow my dog into the country. It wasn't a bribe. It was extortion. I didn't offer to pay. He simply demanded a "fee" of $100 USD.:(

She's the one who drew (my) blood three times by twisting my ear or throwing bronze sculptures at me for going to AFIP on my own, making an offer to buy a house in Tigre while she was in Spain, and asking if she would look after my dog while I went to Patagonia to look at property.:mad:

If you were a man dealing with an Argentine woman I would tell you to be very cautious, but since you are a woman dealing with an Argentine man I don't think you have anything to worry about.;)

After all, Argentine men are the real pussies in this country (thanks to the women).:p

PS: Overstaying your visa isn't a crime. Don't be intimidated by this machismo (and wannabe thug and/or bully).

Just don't piss off any women here and you'll be fine.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Legally I don't think there's much they can do as far as getting you in trouble with immigration and unless they have favorable connections to every employer in the city, they can't stop you from getting a job either.

You could turn it around on them and threaten to sue for chantaje (blackmail) or acoso (harassment), but you would need to get in contact with a lawyer and things could get messy. Perhaps a warning is enough if he continues to bother you, though I suspect he was just reacting out of anger and wasn't serious.

I so far have managed to not get on anybody's bad side (that I know), but I do distrust the cleaning ladies at work as nice as they seem. I have to always check that my bottle of water hasn't been tampered with since twice I've found the safety ring broken and a strange lemon taste.... and I have given up on the idea of leaving a jar of candy on my desk for fear that I may be poisoned. It sounds ridiculous, but being the owner's daughter-in-law has its down sides. I've heard stories of how my sister-in-law would constantly get sick at work and they suspected her coffee had been laced with laxatives. When her mother announced that she was going to have the cup sent to a lab and tested, she stopped getting sick.

So I am very careful with my drinks and food. Perhaps I have just been leaving here too long and am now as paranoid as the locals. :)

Go and tell him you are making a denounce with the police for being threatened (amenazada). This story is very funny, yes, and he is a pathethic guy.... but he s playing with fire. Of course there is nothing he can do to stop you from getting a job, but he´s taking advantage from his position and thats such a typical mistake of the argentinians. (I am a porteña).
M

Maria E. said:
i meant we woman are like steve says

I know it's not fair to generalize. There are many exceptions, including here in the forum.

(Yes, Vero, I mean you.);)

Back