Planning For Eze

jeff1234

Registered
What are the latest recommendations for bringing new items through EZE?

Last time I went through, in August, the customs agents had no interest in what I was bringing in.
Several posts at that time said that this was the new normal.

Yesterday Dennisr posted that he had some foods confiscated, so I am wondering if the agents have started doing more inspections.

I have someone coming here who doesn't speak spanish. He's bringing me a package containing about 15 newly purchased items like lamps, vitamins, wireless keyboard, clothing. We're planning to leave the fragile items in the manufacturers wrapping and put everything into one big carton box.

The items will be clearly new so would it help to take off the price tags and rewrap them? Or leave the price tags on so as to show their correct value? Should we buy a suitcase rather than use a cardboard box?

What else will help avoid hassles?

I'd take everything out of original packaging to make it appear used or at least less obvious that it is brand new. Wear or wash the clothes to get rid of the brand new look (you're allowed to bring in clothes for 'personal use' as far as I'm aware) and have your friend put them in his suitcase with his things.

I think a suitcase would be less obvious than a carton/box.

I agree with Kerriem, except that I don't see the need for wearing or washing the new clothes. You're allowed to bring new clothes "for yourself" into the country. Just take tags off. And definitely use a suitcase.

I'd definitely go with a suitcase over the box, if they're as yanqui looking as I am they're probably fine, I'm blonde and pale and always displaying my american passport in full site and they've never second guessed me or opened my bags. And I've brought an entire set of stainless steel pots and pans through once, and I always have suitcases full of unworn brand new clothes and shoes, but yes without tags.suerte!.

edit: hell I brought a crockpot once filled with dishes and they didn't even blink an eye

I brought two big boxes 2 weeks ago...with no problem... but i always do the tourist bit .......talking english and if anyone asks why so much stuff... just say 3 months in argentina..... so far ......never had a problem in 9 years....

but the problem with that is just you never know maybe you will find a customs guy who wants to work or is awake....... it is a random process.......so you never know..as others said...take electronics out of the package.... carry what you can like cell phone and ipod in your pocket if possible... but you should have no problem....

It is random - almost. I came through a couple of weeks ago. The line for customs was 2 hrs long and they were practically doing cavity searches. I watched and everyone who was standing in line to pay duties appeared to be Argentines with Miami tans. My plan was to be as "Yankee" as possible.

I put my DNI deep into my wallet, held my passport in my hand, and pretended to be a first-timer. When I got to the x-ray she asked me, "Donde vivis?"

"Uh, I'm sorry. What?" She repeated the question in broken English. I told her I was from Philadelphia in my best Philly accent. She waved me through. I had two large cargo bags full of new clothes, toys for the kids, a couple of watches, shoes for my wife, etc., plus my backpack with a new laptop, iPad, 3 cell phones, skate gear and my carry-on full of "cool and interesting" stuff for screening.

I usually separate some of the new items and put them in shopping bags with the tags on and receipts. These are always under the $300US limit. Everything else has the tags removed, clothes washed, etc. I even went as far as scraping my new skates on the driveway (they will get scraped anyway). I would rather take a bunch of precautions and not get checked than to get checked with a bunch of "new" items.

Your mileage may vary.

GS

Agree with Dublin and GS.
Just keep talking English and in my case look stupid.
I've used this trick and it works.
When I was constantly being stopped by the cops on my bike I did the same, until I came across one who spoke fluent English, but that's another story.

Is the "new" stuff going to exceed $300USD? Anyway why would they charge you 50% on vitamins and lamps? I think you're OK. They're looking for big-cost small items like computers, cameras, electronics.... when I went through, I had jars of tahini, peanut butter, etc. They saw it in the xray and asked me what was in the jars. I said only processed foods, they let me right through.

They want to stop people from bringing in TVs, electronics and raw food. They won´t care about your vitamins.

Is the "new" stuff going to exceed $300USD? Anyway why would they charge you 50% on vitamins and lamps? I think you're OK. They're looking for big-cost small items like computers, cameras, electronics.... when I went through, I had jars of tahini, peanut butter, etc. They saw it in the xray and asked me what was in the jars. I said only processed foods, they let me right through.

What is supposed to happen if its over $300??

Back