Planning on moving abroad to Argentina with boyfriend

verbocarne

Registered
Hi everybody,

This is the first time I see this website and I thought it would be a wonderful idea to get all (or almost all) my questions answered here. So first let me tell you the whole story semi-short (and please forgive any grammar error since my first language is Spanish):

My boyfriend, who has a BS in Environmental Engineer is planning to study abroad in Argentina one or two years from now and today he told me about his plans and how he wants to move there with me. I currently am in my third year of Law School and will graduate next year, and altough I wasn't planning on moving abroad I was at a cross-roads because I want to pursue postgraduate education in Environmental Law but I dont have the money or the will to pay 40k plus to study in the US. Also, my best friend currently lives in Chile. I'm a positive thinker and for me the worst that could happen is a) me and my bf break up in Argentina, in which case I will continue my studies and maybe find a hot Argentinian or 2) I dont like it (which I highly, highly doubt), in which case I return home with or w/o my bf.

Both my bf and I speak fluent Spanish because thats our native language, and we have lived abroad (separately) before, my bf lived in Brasil and I lived in Madrid, Spain (beautiful experience). We are planning on studying in the University of Buenos Aires. So my questions are:

1) What is the real cost of living in Buenos Aires (in USD) (housing, food, etc.)?, I know that it is not as cheap as in Chile or other places but I still don't know.

2) For any students on UBA or elsewhere, what's your experience been like? Can you work and study at the same time (I still dont know much about VISA's in BS, in Spain I had a student VISA and I couldn't work). I plan on passing my Bar Exam and maybe study and work as a lawyer or intern in Argentina (mostly in non profits, which I love) or maybe work as an English teacher (after taking the TEFL) or as a translator.

3) Whats your overall experience?

4) *Ok, maybe this one is not as important as the other ones, but I have heard so much about this that I HAVE to ask: I'm afro-caribbean, and black, I've had black friends who've had an awful experience with racism visiting BS, but I've had friends that had the opposite experience. So, how much racism can I expect from every day living?
I do know racism unfortunately is everywhere (even where I live), but I dont want to live in a place where it can become unbearable.

PS - I'm 25 my bf is 27

ANY ANSWER WOULD BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED, SORRY FOR SUCH A LONG POST!!!

I've had two black friends come to visit me from New York City, my hometown. One was a really pretty girl, and the other one average. Nobody ever treated them poorly or were racist to them. But I have to say they did get a lot of stares, especially from young men, who I think were horny and since there aren't many dark skinned women around here they found them attractive. They were never mistreated though for being dark-skinned. But at first getting stared at constantly they got a bit uncomfortable, because when that happens in the US it's for a different reason. Here it happens because men are not shy about letting women know that they are on the hunt.

If you are black, don´t worry about racism. No one will whistle at you. It´s when you´re blonde blue eyed you gotta worry!!

Argentines, due to the lack of ¨african black,¨ are not only intrigued, but very attracted to black men and women. You will not have to worry about racism at all. People might say some stupid things, but it´s just due to ignorance and inexperience, it won´t be with any mal intent.

Does your BF have any work experience? What is he going to study, what kind of envi eng. is he into? I´m also BS Environmental engineering science and Im getting a masters in Impact Development and Sustainable management (engineering) here.

I also work full time, at the same time, and have energy and free time for other stuff, so in BSAS that IS a possibility.

The cost is expensive here unless you have adecent job and you know how to spend money intelligently. If you are finishing a law degree, IMHO you don´t need a TEFL to teach English, although many people here will disagree with me. If you want to study at the UBA or another school PM me and I´ll try to help you out how I can, or do some searches on this site.

On a side note, don´t be too optimistic about getting a sweet job in BSAS, although since you speak fluent Spanish and English and have a degree it will greaty increase your chances of landing something decent.

1) I'd say 1000 USD per month is enough for both of you find a cheap rent, that's a big IF. If you bring cash, you can exchange in "cuevas" for more than 6 pesos each USD. Official rate is 4,6 pesos.

2) Yes you can study and work, specially if you are not attending UBA. Private colleges have many night classes. About working, there are more works "en negro" without tax/health payments done by your employer, than in "blanco" (which usually have a portion of the salary "en negro") And you don't need a visa for "en negro" work. Not easy to get a good paying job nowadays though

3) Everyday life is quite harder than the US and most European countries. But I find it more enjoyable in your 20's.

4) I think it depends how you take Argentine "racism". There's a lot of references to skin color, language, etc. But it's in good humor. i.e. calling someone "negro" has affective connotation, I'm called like that by some friends and I'm more pale than Casper the ghost. About feeling "harassed" by men, again, they'll check you out, say nice things in different tones, but always about how sexy you look for them. You might get more than the usual from not being as common, but most woman do get those. Some like it, some can bear with it, some hate it.

US $1,000 per month is about right.

I can give you some anecdotes about the nature of the racism.

I was dating a black guy from NYC. We went to a bar and a guy pointed at him and yelled out 'Ey! Kunta Kinte!' Lordy.

Similarly a girlfriend who is Indian but looks like she's of African descent came down and at first thought there was no overt racism but soon realized she was being fetishized quite a bit by fellows who were interested in her not because she's smoking hot, but because they thought she was exotic.

Another male friend came down and got a lot of "Ey! Bob Marley! Marijuana!" type comments as well as people speaking to him in Portuguese.

So it's not like you'll get beat up, just be prepared for some very ignorant comments and expectations that you'll be the best dancer on the floor.

la_guachita; So it's not like you'll get beat up said:
Couldn't agree more. It's a naive ignorance of people who act like they dont have tv, newspapers or any contact with the outside world and are surprised by someone with colored skin actually being just like them. I have a friend who is super smart and well travelled - he's worked in 3 different countries and he was constantly making references to our Brazilian employee with regards to her ability to find a boyfriend of her own type. I wanted to kill him then hug him for his unconscious ignorance.

I'm still trying to understand the 1000 USD per month for 2 people:confused:

If you don't have a guarantia, renting a 1 BR furnished apt will cost you close to that alone. Health insurance, probably around 800-1200 pesos for the two of you a month (depending on your provider/plan). Food - depends how you eat but rough estimate for 2 people, 1500 pesos. Going out to dinner - well, probably $200 pesos for an average meal with an average bottle of wine and a starter.

You won't be able to practice law here even if you have passed the bar in the US. If you're here on a tourist visa, you can't work legally.

In re racism - I think people have covered it. You will hear lots of comments but it's not necessarily intended for ill. Lots of people are just ignorant. The concept of political correctness doesn't exist here (ie, lots of small supermarkets are run by Chinese people. So now the term "chino" is commonly used in lieu of supermarket, ie "I'm running to the chino to pick up some food." People will probably ask you where you're from (although that happens to every foreigner). But again, I don't think it's necessarily intended in a negative way, more just unconscious ignorance vs overt racism.

citygirl said:
I'm still trying to understand the 1000 USD per month for 2 people:confused:

If you don't have a guarantia, renting a 1 BR furnished apt will cost you close to that alone. Health insurance, probably around 800-1200 pesos for the two of you a month (depending on your provider/plan). Food - depends how you eat but rough estimate for 2 people, 1500 pesos. Going out to dinner - well, probably $200 pesos for an average meal with an average bottle of wine and a starter.

You won't be able to practice law here even if you have passed the bar in the US. If you're here on a tourist visa, you can't work legally.

In re racism - I think people have covered it. You will hear lots of comments but it's not necessarily intended for ill. Lots of people are just ignorant. The concept of political correctness doesn't exist here (ie, lots of small supermarkets are run by Chinese people. So now the term "chino" is commonly used in lieu of supermarket, ie "I'm running to the chino to pick up some food." People will probably ask you where you're from (although that happens to every foreigner). But again, I don't think it's necessarily intended in a negative way, more just unconscious ignorance vs overt racism.
I think everyone was saying that 1000 was for rent

Can you off-shore yourself? What I am thinking is that right now they hire a lot of lawyers in India to do back office legal work, could you offer yourself to do work like that in the US? Most people who live well here who are expats do freelance work for the US-Europe, get paid in paypal or bank transfer, and then live here. While BsAs is expensive, you might be able to make a "bad" US salary into an "ok" or "good" Argentine salary.
I taught English and it is NOT for everyone. Also, you MIGHT get more racism from English language institute owners than any other sector.
Two young folks can definately get by together on 2000 USD per month--you won´t be living large but much better than $2k in the US.
Another thing to keep in mind is that internal tourism in Argentina is very expensive right now, so traveling around and staying in cheap places works out to be a lot of money.
A few months ago we went to Mar del Plata (by bus) stayed in a cheap rental apartment for 3 nights and splurged on a 3 star hotel one night. We went to the movies and ate out. I think we ran up a tab of $2k pesos.

Back