Plans to Leave?

Do you have plans to move back to your home country?

• No, this is my home now

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • No, I am a native

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • Yes, as soon as I can

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Yes, within the year

Votes: 20 18.5%
  • Someday, but not anytime soon

Votes: 20 18.5%
  • Other - explain in the comments!

Votes: 35 32.4%

• Total voters
Hop said:
Where did you go? Care to elaborate on your reasons for returning? I'm desperate to leave but am wondering if I just want to see if the grass really is greener on the other side.

"desperate to leave"?? (it seems you are sufferyng your stay a lot)... and what are you waiting for? Die in your agony?... the healt first my friend.

Interesting takes from two angles:
Some have left "problematic" places like the U.S. and elsewhere for Argentina and other south American countries.
And some expats since in those new locations mention the "problematic" state of those new locations and wanting to leave, some returning to the first places.
Then there are the locals wanting to escape to some of the places that the expats fled from.
Guess it's all perspective then and what works for each individual.
Wish the best to all either way, whichever directions they're going.

This is very interesting. It is puzzling about Argentina but I think everybody loves it when we can find so much wrong with it, and there IS a lot wrong. I think a lot of it is the people themselves that we like. As one person said, he missed his friends. To Johnny who posted that he went back to Miami and missed Argentina, thanks for that post. Miami is my birthplace and when you run into particular frustration here, you wonder what have I done! ;D I am in process here of citizenship. I don't think I'll stay in BA after that is finished, though I'm even getting attached to BA, surprising as that is to me. But I want to be able to have a few vegetables and fruit in my yard. Can't do that in an apartment on the 6th floor! ;(

I'm now in Thailand recovering of the very, very expenses 6 months in Buenos Aires. I didn't do anything crazy, shared a flat and cooked everyday for myself and even then I spent so much that I had to be in a cheap country to keep my finances in balance.

Think this will be the last full year we'll spend in Buenos Aires. Once we've finished up a couple of big projects we'll make plans to leave sometime next year. Most likely heading to Chile or Brazil.

I still love Buenos Aires, but its a big world and we're feeling ready to look for opportunities elsewhere.

mariano-BCN said:
I'm now in Thailand recovering of the very, very expenses 6 months in Buenos Aires. I didn't do anything crazy, shared a flat and cooked everyday for myself and even then I spent so much that I had to be in a cheap country to keep my finances in balance.

For you money is everything and defines your existence . How sad!!!!

mariano-BCN said:
I'm now in Thailand recovering of the very, very expenses 6 months in Buenos Aires.......... I had to be in a cheap country to keep my finances in balance.

I don't see hardship or that you 'have to be in' a cheap country. Because in another thread or post, you said that you're receiving better value and a higher quality of life for less in Thailand than in Argentina. You chose to do what was likeliest to not spill more water from your still half-full glasss and that's working for you.

Moving to another country is one strategy for living within one's means in in some instances. Because you've been able to live in BA, Amsterdam, and Thailand, few people are likely to see your staying 6 months freely in Thailand as tantamount to being forced to be there. Most people can only dream of seeing and living in the places you have and are.

Argentina isn't the only country that has become more expensive than or as expensive as others that used to cost more than it.

Raymond said:
For you money is everything and defines your existence . How sad!!!!
Wow Raymond you have incredible powers of perception to be able to summarize this person's life and values from that simple post.

How sad!!!!

Congratulations Raymond, without even knowing me you've already made a psychoanalysis of mine, wow!
And Sockhopper: I'm in the fortunate position that I may live anywhere as long as I've internet connection. And yes, I consider BsARs outrageous expensive taking into account the quality of goods and services in general in Argentina. You can't keep on asking first world prices or higher and giving crap services and goods.
But: I'm born in Argentina so I'm attached to that country so I've no other alternative than to stay every now and then there, just to see friends and family but if I wasn't half Argentinean I would even consider spend my money there.

I was born and raised in PR and have lived here for 6yrs. And I am have been fighting the urge to pack a carry on and just go to US.

Back