Plans to Leave?

Do you have plans to move back to your home country?

• No, this is my home now

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • No, I am a native

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • Yes, as soon as I can

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Yes, within the year

Votes: 20 18.5%
  • Someday, but not anytime soon

Votes: 20 18.5%
  • Other - explain in the comments!

Votes: 35 32.4%

• Total voters

webteam

Administrator
It seems Buenos Aires is a revolving door for expats. What are your long-term plans?

I am married and settled here, so have no plans to move.

I did like having the safety net of being able to sell my property in dollars, and it is a little worrying that as I get older and maybe infirm I may be prevented from moving becuase of the actions of the Argentine Government.

Lets hope it never becomes a problem.

Johnny said:
I left in December but I'm returning next month. For those thinking of leaving, I understand, but watch what you wish for.

Where did you go? Care to elaborate on your reasons for returning? I'm desperate to leave but am wondering if I just want to see if the grass really is greener on the other side.

Hop said:
Where did you go? Care to elaborate on your reasons for returning? I'm desperate to leave but am wondering if I just want to see if the grass really is greener on the other side.
I returned to Miami where I'd lived for many years before moving to BA in 2006. Though I loved Miami many years ago, I can't tolerate it anymore, for many reasons. I have many friends in Buenos Aires that I miss, and I miss a lot of things about the culture as well. As I get older I find that I put more and more value on friends.

Though I'm not a fan of the recent extreme tilt of CFK's administration to the left(at least economically), I fear, and distrust, even more the increasing corporate influence and unabashed greed in the USA. The amount of extreme competitiveness and plummeting ethical mentality in the culture is very disturbing to me. It is noticeably worse than six and a half years ago when I left. I won't miss that in the least.

When you live in the country and love it, it doesn't matter so much which country you live in.

Nonetheless, Argentina is now my home country. :)

I just hope to visit Paris again for a couple months (July and August).

Quite sure my last sunset will be in Argentina. That is the plan. If I happen to outlive this Government, off to Corrientes where I can plant some tomatoes, melons or whatever.

Johnny said:
I left in December but I'm returning next month. For those thinking of leaving, I understand, but watch what you wish for.

Our binational matrimonial plan is to someday split the year between Argentina and the US. I do fantasize packing up the entire brood and getting the hell out of this crazy country before it's too late (if it isn't already). But life is tricky. Things might not work out so neatly. Life gathers its own momentum. And then there's Johnny's very wise caution. It rings true. After so many years away from the US, I wonder if it would feel strange to move back. This place is bonkers, but it gets under your skin.

Back