Playing Futbol - Key phrases?

senorsuitcase

Registered
Hola,

I'm playing in a futbol match with the porteños soon. Are there any spanish phrases/customs in a futbol match that I need to know/say/look out for?!

Apart from Ggggooooooolllll!?

Senor Suitcase
www.senorsuitcase.com

1) Guarda!! (Watch out! Man on! Defender is close.)
2) Arco!! (Kick the ball at the goal or kick in that direction for a teammate to run onto the ball.)
3) Pegale!! (Means "KICK THE BALL!!" Usually when in a good position to score and a person is dribbling and not shooting.)
4) Se fue!! (The ball went out of bounds.)
5) Cambio!! (If there are substitutes, it is time to change players.)
6) Corner (It should be "esquina", but it isn't always. It is called for a corner kick.)
7) Falta!! (When a foul occurs. People will not always agree with the call.)
8) Pasa boludo!! (Pass the ball you dumb ____. Usually used after a person did NOT pass the ball.)
9) Mano!! ("Hand" which is short for "handball". In a country of cheating futbolista, many ways have been devised to chat in the game of soccer using your hands & arms and they try them all and then some every game.)
10) Cancha de futbol (Often shortened to "cancha" and it means the "soccer playing field".)
11) Concha de tu madre (This means "your mother's playing field".)
12) Pelota (The actual ball. Sometimes called "balón" if you're playing with Mexicans.)
13) Botas (Soccer shoes)
14) Guantes (Gloves... some groups play with them, some groups don't.)
15) Goooooooolllll!! (Depending on the number scored in a game, this is either screamed or not even said, but it means "goal".)
16) Golaaaaazoo!!! (This is often used for an exceptional goal and occasionally used for one that wasn't so exceptional.)
17) Iguales! (This means that the game is tied.)
18) Uno arriba/ dos arriba/ tres arriba... (They rarely keep score in this country if you are playing with friends, but rather they keep track of WHO is ahead and by HOW MANY.)
19) Arquero (The goalie/goal keeper/keeper)
20) Cambio arquero (The goalie was changed.)
21) Delantero (Forward/ Striker)
22) Defensa (Defense)
23) Palo (The side post of the goal.)
24) Abono (a bono?) (It means that you pay for the entire month up front.)
25) Agua tenés? (This means- Do you have water? & May I put my herpes simplex lips on the nozzle of your water bottle and suck it like it's a teet rather than holding the thing above my mouth and squirting the water into it?)
26) Plancha (This means "iron", but also "the under side of your foot". You cannot lunge toward a ball and expose the bottom of your foot toward the path of an opponent's foot when they are kicking the ball. Bad thingS can happen and therefore it is illegal.)
27) Canilleras (shin guards)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Suerte. I would recommend shin guards. Most of the guys I play with DON'T use shin guards, so my first time I didn't. But after suffering ridiculous bruises to my shins the first time, I started wearing them every week.

-Napoleon

PS- ES RRRREEEE IMPORTANTE!!! Don't think that just because it's soccer that there won't be kissing. You will be expected to kiss every single other guy that is there upon arrival. You will be expected to also kiss each guy arriving after you when it is your turn in the kissing circle. And when it is time to leave, you had better kiss every guy not currently in the shower or you might not be invited back next week.

Nothing to add really except for i'm pretty sure abono is one word. And I would recommend gloves if you're playing on concrete cause it can be pretty abrasive if you have to put a hand out to break your fall.

Napoleon said:
1) Guarda!! (Watch out! Man on! Defender is close.)
2) Arco!! (Kick the ball at the goal or kick in that direction for a teammate to run onto the ball.)
3) Pegale!! (Means "KICK THE BALL!!" Usually when in a good position to score and a person is dribbling and not shooting.)
4) Se fue!! (The ball went out of bounds.)
5) Cambio!! (If there are substitutes, it is time to change players.)
6) Corner (It should be "esquina", but it isn't always. It is called for a corner kick.)
7) Falta!! (When a foul occurs. People will not always agree with the call.)
8) Pasa boludo!! (Pass the ball you dumb ____. Usually used after a person did NOT pass the ball.)
9) Mano!! ("Hand" which is short for "handball". In a country of cheating futbolista, many ways have been devised to chat in the game of soccer using your hands & arms and they try them all and then some every game.)
10) Cancha de futbol (Often shortened to "cancha" and it means the "soccer playing field".)
11) Concha de tu madre (This means "your mother's playing field".)
12) Pelota (The actual ball. Sometimes called "balón" if you're playing with Mexicans.)
13) Botas (Soccer shoes)
14) Guantes (Gloves... some groups play with them, some groups don't.)
15) Goooooooolllll!! (Depending on the number scored in a game, this is either screamed or not even said, but it means "goal".)
16) Golaaaaazoo!!! (This is often used for an exceptional goal and occasionally used for one that wasn't so exceptional.)
17) Iguales! (This means that the game is tied.)
18) Uno arriba/ dos arriba/ tres arriba... (They rarely keep score in this country if you are playing with friends, but rather they keep track of WHO is ahead and by HOW MANY.)
19) Arquero (The goalie/goal keeper/keeper)
20) Cambio arquero (The goalie was changed.)
21) Delantero (Forward/ Striker)
22) Defensa (Defense)
23) Palo (The side post of the goal.)
24) Abono (a bono?) (It means that you pay for the entire month up front.)
25) Agua tenés? (This means- Do you have water? & May I put my herpes simplex lips on the nozzle of your water bottle and suck it like it's a teet rather than holding the thing above my mouth and squirting the water into it?)
26) Plancha (This means "iron", but also "the under side of your foot". You can not lounge toward a ball and expose the bottom of your foot towards the path of an opponent's foot when they are kicking the ball. Bad thing can happen and therefore it is illegal.)
27) Canilleras (shin guards)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Suerte. I would recommend shin guards. Most of the guys I play with DON'T use shin guards, so my first time I didn't. But after suffering ridiculous bruises to my shins the first time, I started wearing them every week.

-Napoleon

PS- ES RRRREEEE IMPORTANTE!!! Don't think that just because it's soccer that there won't be kissing. You will be expected to kiss every single other guy that is there upon arrival. You will be expected to also kiss each guy arriving after you when it is your turn in the kissing circle. And when it is time to leave, you had better kiss every guy not currently in the shower or you might not be invited back next week.

This is great. Thank you. I will put my shinpads and lipstick on and get down there.

senorsuitcase said:
This is great. Thank you. I will put my shinpads and lipstick on and get down there.
Lipstick is unnecessary, but you should use some form of lip protector.

I buy 3 to 5 sticks of Blistex (spf15) every time I'm in the States, because I run through the stuff quickly here and they don't have anything that compares in my book.

Kissing puts wear and tear on those lips and if your going to be a Sexy Mutha _____ like me, you've got to take care of yourself.

Napoleon said:

ROFL whatever ! :D:D:D:D

A report back from my footballing debut with the porteños last night:

“Bring your slippers” – the e-mail from my footballing porteño contact Fer told me. Had he seen me play before? Alas, this was not a sleight on my lackadaisical playing style, merely an interesting translation of “astroturf boots”. But, the e-mail confirmed that one of their regulars was absent this week, and I was in the game.

So, I turned up for a 9pm kick-off on a cross between a student’s carpet and a cat’s litter tray. Wedged between two railway lines and beneath the flight path out of Aeroparque Jorge Newbery, this may not have been La Bombonera but there was certainly no lack of atmosphere. And the stakes were high. The cost to play was 15 pesos per head (around £2.50) but it was winner takes all. Or rather – winner pays nothing, loser pays double. In a city where £5 can get you 25 journeys anywhere on the subway, this was a match worth winning.

Unbeknownst to me, the banter had been flying around all day on e-mail. This wasn’t about money though, it was about pride. And also, hilariously, the right to keep one’s name. For both captains were called Fer and they had agreed that the losing captain must change his name. To what? I am yet to find out. In the build up, I had been billed by my Fer captain as “The England Machine!!!” I think he had been watching too many videos of Bryan Robson and Vinnie Jones, but for those who have not seen me on a football field before, I am far from a ‘machine’. Well, perhaps something like a fax machine – out of date, liable to break down, and very difficult to find spare parts for.

The match itself started innocuously enough. We had 2 Brazilians on our team who, true to stereotype, totally ran the show. They were, put simply, ‘Brazilliant”. It was like being an out-of-focus extra in a Nike advert but I was determined to play my part. I tracked back (seriously), threw myself in the way of shots, and took my turn in goal. We raced into a 3 goal lead but, with 5 minutes left to go, somehow managed to gift the opposition a few cheap goals. The atmosphere grew a little edgy – suddenly it was a lot closer than it needed to be. Our captain Fer, who is either mad or both, then took matters into his own hands. One great left-footed strike equalled one crucial Ggggoooooollll!!! and what followed was a selection of impressively loud screams that included a combination of people’s mothers, unmentionable body parts, and a degree of child-bearing out of wedlock.

I then managed, in typical British footballing style, to get the big toe of my left foot on the end of a miss-hit shot to put us 2 goals clear, before one of the Brazilliants put us out of reach with the kind of goal that I can’t even score on a Playstation. The impromptu pitch invasion by the local “mujeres de hockey” signalled the final whistle, hugs all round, and more shouts and screams from our inspirational “Capitán Loco”.

Wallets intact. Pride intact. Legs intact. I had survived my Argentinian futbol debut.

Senor Suitcase
www.senorsuitcase.com

senorsuitcase said:
A report back from my footballing debut with the porteños last night:

“Bring your slippers” – the e-mail from my footballing porteño contact Fer told me. Had he seen me play before? Alas, this was not a sleight on my lackadaisical playing style, merely an interesting translation of “astroturf boots”. But, the e-mail confirmed that one of their regulars was absent this week, and I was in the game.

So, I turned up for a 9pm kick-off on a cross between a student’s carpet and a cat’s litter tray. Wedged between two railway lines and beneath the flight path out of Aeroparque Jorge Newbery, this may not have been La Bombonera but there was certainly no lack of atmosphere.

It sounds like you might have been playing at Parque Norte. It's a club up north, just past the airport, but before a cluster of UBA buildings.

There are two different types of Canch 5/6 here.
(1) The new "Field Turf" that has long plastic blades of "grass" and crumbled black bits of rubber (most probably former car tires/tyres).
(2) Short carpet with sand as a slide assistant. (It sounds like you played on this type of field.)

Glad you enjoyed it and glad that you have a couple for Brazilian ringers on the team. It never hurts.

Where I play now, there is a guy from Bosnia (or something) who is 37 and sometimes can dribble from goal to goal in a zig-zag that hearkens to Pelé's diagram from the movie "Victory". I'm sure that he is good enough to hang with Argentine pros. I'm just not sure if he could take the pounding on a weekly basis. But skill, speed, and quickness? He's there. It's a joke.

So felicidades Suitcase!

Back