Please Explain Piquetas....

citygirl said:
Pretty sure that you can get contraception for free. But as you mention, that is assuming that you have received information that tells you how to use it/where to get it/etc which probably is not the case.
Exactly.

Concepción is a Chilean port - I have nothing against Chilean ports ... so why antiConcepción? :D

I think there's another reason why poor people tend to have more children, that hasn't been mentioned. Having a baby is the only project in life they can have without money, education, and a job. So they cling to that, especially if they are very poor. This someone who worked in a villa once told me. It's something to bear in mind. This person said that it wasn't the fact that they didn't know about contraception. They did. But they wanted to have babies anyway.

Food for thought.

Cheers,

Guillo said:
I thought you already were trained as one. Didn't you work for an union?
I certainly don't. I'm just in contact with their problems since I'm studying Labour Laws. I did happen to met some as an inventigation for University though.

Santiago F said:
I think there's another reason why poor people tend to have more children, that hasn't been mentioned. Having a baby is the only project in life they can have without money, education, and a job. So they cling to that, especially if they are very poor. This someone who worked in a villa once told me. It's something to bear in mind. This person said that it wasn't the fact that they didn't know about contraception. They did. But they wanted to have babies anyway.

Food for thought.

Cheers,

You're totally right, Santiago. It is food for thought, indeed. I said what I said from my own limited middle-class perspective. In fact, I don't have children and don't know what's like to be a father. I still believe that quality is better than quantity and that more children does not equal more happiness necessarily. Reckless positive attitude toward life is the best replacement I can find for what I'd rather call irrational behavior, but I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't admit I didn't consider the consequences of my actions more than once. I have neither the knowledge nor the moral authority to help or guide those people through their lives in any way. It takes more than my opinion, no matter how well-intentioned it may be, to provide people with guidance.

I do believe I have very solid reasons to assure anyone here that dogs and water cannons would only bring more damage and upheaval, and we sure as f*cking hell don't need that.

Santiago F said:
... Having a baby is the only project in life they can have without money, education, and a job. So they cling to that, especially if they are very poor. This someone who worked in a villa once told me. It's something to bear in mind. This person said that it wasn't the fact that they didn't know about contraception. They did. But they wanted to have babies anyway.

Food for thought.

Cheers,
Here is some more food for thought:

Before I moved to Argentina, I was living in a small village (some 900 people) in Chile.

It was an exception to the rule to find a girl, aged 20 years or more, in the countryside or one of the villages, who did not have at least one child.

I suspect this is the result of carelesness or lack of information or money, rather than a planned project.

I have not read the entire thread so this might have been covered already...apologies in advance....

Does religion play a role here? Traditional, conservative Catholics do not believe in birth control.

I don't think so, actually Santiago F's explanation is the most logical for me.
Of course you always see people making the sign of the cross when passing a church in a colectivo. Yet, BsAs is full of transvestite prostitutes and telos. They don't seem to take the catolic church too serious.

I think parts of the behaviour are caused unconsciously. They know what would be the behaviour for not getting a child (and they say they don't want one) nevertheless they ignore that. Like somebody who is fat knows he should eat less, but eats nonetheless.

Everybody wants to have some kind of success in life and if you don't get any real perspectives, then raising children is the only thing that is left. Basically my interpretation of aforementioned post.
IMHO, good schools don't lower pregnancies due to knowing how they happen (at least not as main factor), but more by showing scholars other possibilities of having success in life. I think that in regions where most girls around 20 already have a child, people know pretty damn well how you get pregnant.

The reason why poor people have many children is probably very complicated.

There is carelessness, lack of information, lack of money for entertainment ~ boredom, the increased monthly payment you get for having (is it more than 6?) children, religion for some - although I have observed, that rich catholics (and protestants and muslims) usually have 2 or 3 children, while poor ones have many- Every Sperm is Sacred :D:D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk) ...

Hellek said:
... I think that in regions where most girls around 20 already have a child, people know pretty damn well how you get pregnant.
Definitely, but not necessarily how not to.

Back