Plum That Defies Natural Decomposition...what The Heck??

Risu

Registered
Bought a half kilo of plums at the local market three weeks ago. All looked delicious. Of course at our local fruit stand there is that rule that customers must not touch the fruit. Once home all were hard and with out any flavor to the taste. Saved most of them for a week hoping they would ripen. Stayed hard as rocks so tossed most of them but then decided to do an experiment to see how long one of the plums would last without being in the fridge. This plum has been on our countertop in the kitchen for three weeks and shows no sign of deterioration. Anyone out there with an explanation?

Sorry can't seem to upload the photo.

Bought a half kilo of plums at the local market three weeks ago. All looked delicious. Of course at our local fruit stand there is that rule that customers must not touch the fruit. Once home all were hard and with out any flavor to the taste. Saved most of them for a week hoping they would ripen. Stayed hard as rocks so tossed most of them but then decided to do an experiment to see how long one of the plums would last without being in the fridge. This plum has been on our countertop in the kitchen for three weeks and shows no sign of deterioration. Anyone out there with an explanation?

The animal world has mummies; the plant world has plummies.

My guess would be GM rules are a little relaxed here.

Tomatoes last for a disconcerting length of time also (and desperately lack flavour)

A friend who worked in a fruit market told me that they spray them with some nasty chemical so they look ok from the outside. Some of the apples are years old and fluffy inside but picture perfect. The Dorien Gray effect, I'm thinking of getting hold of some of this chemical and spraying my face...

Argentine produce is treated with preservatives at some point. I never saw it and Im not sure if it's the producer or the green grocer. At our local market here in US, the Argentine blueberries are always in the same spot. Gosh, they last forever. Not even refrigerated. Couldn't find one pint with any mold and I've been buying blueberries my whole life. To sum up, of course, pesticides are used all over, but I always suspected that Arg. produce also had preservatives sprayed on it. Nice on the outside often, and about 2 months old on the inside. Oh well, looking forward to those Jersey, Maine and Canadian Blueberries next month. Hmmm, will eat them fast as they will go bad if I don't. The way nature intended.

Argentine produce is treated with preservatives at some point. I never saw it and Im not sure if it's the producer or the green grocer. At our local market here in US, the Argentine blueberries are always in the same spot. Gosh, they last forever. Not even refrigerated. Couldn't find one pint with any mold and I've been buying blueberries my whole life. To sum up, of course, pesticides are used all over, but I always suspected that Arg. produce also had preservatives sprayed on it. Nice on the outside often, and about 2 months old on the inside. Oh well, looking forward to those Jersey, Maine and Canadian Blueberries next month. Hmmm, will eat them fast as they will go bad if I don't. The way nature intended.
Yes. And while you are there gorge yourself on some real cheddar cheese, with all of that fruit.

Yes. And while you are there gorge yourself on some real cheddar cheese, with all of that fruit.

Mmmmm 5 year old aged extra sharp cheddar. yum. How is it that the only sharp or stinky cheese here is "roquefort" (notice the quotation marks....)

Update of the Plum which would not rot. As of this Saturday, the plum was still looking good though did have a few indentations from the wire basket where it was perched. Regret to inform all you readers that our maid tossed" the plum who refused to rot" today at 0900. The experiment to monitor it's longevity has ended.
Only conclusion drawn from this...you are what you eat. Keep it real.

Back