Police Station / Affidavit

Lea

Registered
I was silly, actually stupid, to leave my handbag over the back of my chair yesterday in a (very nice) restaurant, and two quick and smart scam artists stole my wallet without us noticing. I viewed the security footage and what skill they work with!

Need to go to police station to get signed affidavit. I live in Recoleta - might anyone know the nearest station - one on Las Heras? I hope this might be a fairly easy process!
thanks

Yes, you need to go the comiseria on Las Heras and make a denuncia.

You will need your passport or a photocopy of the photo page.

It isn't difficult at all, but could take a couple hours. It all depends on how many people are ahead of you.

has anyone been denied re-entry into AR because they had too many 'prorrogas' (extensions) on their tourist visa? and what is the best place from which to re-enter? Carmelo or Colonia in Uruguay?

thanks for any info.

Its possible that the police have a good idea who your thief is since they are most likely there "shopping" every day. Many police here get paid off like a mafia by such theives.

Whats the difference between a scam artist and an average Porteno?

brocolliandtea said:
Its possible that the police have a good idea who your thief is since they are most likely there "shopping" every day. Many police here get paid off like a mafia by such theives.

These kinds of comments are mean and uninvited. Also us expats should refrain from generalizing about "Porteños" because I am sure those comments are not welcome when Argentines start bashing "yanquis and brits". We are in THEIR country, try to play nice in the sandbox!

Pickpocketing happens to nearly everyone in Argentina -- not just tourists. So, I second the post about not being hard on yourself. But because this has happened to me, it's hard not to be disappointed. :(

Yeh, nobody likes to feel like a "chump" which how these type of crimes make you feel.

brocolliandtea said:

I beg to differ.

They simply give up.

There's always a bribed prosecutor that would let them out for monthly fee.

Police business here is more with prostitution than petty crime.

What's the difference between you and bull crap?

Generally I would advise you not to bother, unless:
1) You lost a passport or something where they are going to demand a police report
2) If you live in Canada, the US or UK (at least) your home insurance MAY actually cover the theft.
Good luck

Back