Policia de Ciudad ?

Aztangogirl

Registered
What exactly are the policia supposed to do. I see them everywhere standing on corners. Alone or in groups. On their phones, chatting. Do they do anything to try to help people? If one was close to me, would they help if I got robbed of assaulted? Or are they just paid window dressing?

As soon as I saw this posting, I started laughing to myself because I have so often thought the same thing. I would love to see a list of all the different levels of police in Argentina with each of their actual duties. Perhaps the confusion gives them an (another) excuse to do nothing.
I will vouch for one Policia de Ciudad officer in Recoleta who was very helpful recently with giving me directions. Beyond that and him, I can't vouch for anything.

I do want to add that I've never had a bad experience with a police officer in Argentina, even when I was stopped for not having my car lights on. That has not been my experience in other countries, where every interaction seems to be an opportunity to lean on you for a bribe.

The new City Policemen wear some Burgundy T-shirts and bullet proof vests , when you see them standing at corners and in front of restos, kioskos, and stores -whatsapping- They are working overtime, on their free time, paid by businesses like restos to avoid piranha robbers that attack during day and night time robbing the patrons (like in Las Cañitas recently). If they see a violent act nearby they will call a patrol car.

I used to buy tires at a Pirelli deposit store on Cordoba St., up front they have several tire service stations an in the back are the offices. Every time I went there was a heavyset policeman sitting drinking coffee , Later I found out he's there permanently earning overtime to protect the office....! not unusual.

So if you live next to a resto, that opens late, you are safe, they will have a policeman outside.

I live three blocks from Vice President Michetti's house on Pasco where there is always a city police officer on duty. It's common to see three of them chatting and drinking mate while on duty. The only cellphone they are allowed to use while on duty is the blue one provided by the city.

Security in the city was the main topic of discussion last Wednesday at the neighborhood meeting with Horacio Larreta. He says the police are supposed to be in motion on the street, not standing still using a cell phone. People need to speak up or things will not improve.

One officer stationed regularly in my neighborhood said they work 12 hour shifts, so if you see one inside a shop or restaurant, they are not being paid overtime work -- they are not doing their job.

I stopped to speak with three officers one day on Av. Belgrano. One officer was talking with two female officers leaning against a patrol car. I asked, are you working? Larreta says chatting with fellow officers isn't working. The officer replied, "I don't care what Larreta says, we're working."

The police stations have a meeting on the first Thursday of every month to listen to residents about problems in the neighborhood. I've attended several of these meetings. I related the conversation I had with the officer who preferred chatting while on duty. He was more interested in talking than doing his job.

All officers wear name badges. It's easy to make a note of a name and report them to the police commissioner. I did just that when I was told off by an officer -- "Larreta can say whatever he wants. We are working." 2/13/2018 - Gustavo Ojeda was the officer.

This is what Horacio Larreta said to the audience at the February 8, 2018 meeting. It was fresh in my mind from the recent meeting with Larreta. "Police should not be talking using the phone when on duty. Every resident is an INSPECTOR for the city."

Our taxes pay the salaries of the police, so they work for us. We have the right to question whether they are working or distracted by social media. This has no place while on duty protecting the neighborhoods and its citizens.

I live three blocks from Vice President Michetti's house on Pasco where there is always a city police officer on duty. It's common to see three of them chatting and drinking mate while on duty. The only cellphone they are allowed to use while on duty is the blue one provided by the city.

Security in the city was the main topic of discussion last Wednesday at the neighborhood meeting with Horacio Larreta. He says the police are supposed to be in motion on the street, not standing still using a cell phone. People need to speak up or things will not improve.

One officer stationed regularly in my neighborhood said they work 12 hour shifts, so if you see one inside a shop or restaurant, they are not being paid overtime work -- they are not doing their job.

I stopped to speak with three officers one day on Av. Belgrano. One officer was talking with two female officers leaning against a patrol car. I asked, are you working? Larreta says chatting with fellow officers isn't working. The officer replied, "I don't care what Larreta says, we're working."

The police stations have a meeting on the first Thursday of every month to listen to residents about problems in the neighborhood. I've attended several of these meetings. I related the conversation I had with the officer who preferred chatting while on duty. He was more interested in talking than doing his job.

All officers wear name badges. It's easy to make a note of a name and report them to the police commissioner. I did just that when I was told off by an officer -- "Larreta can say whatever he wants. We are working." 2/13/2018 - Gustavo Ojeda was the officer.

This is what Horacio Larreta said to the audience at the February 8, 2018 meeting. It was fresh in my mind from the recent meeting with Larreta. "Police should not be talking using the phone when on duty. Every resident is an INSPECTOR for the city."

Our taxes pay the salaries of the police, so they work for us. We have the right to question whether they are working or distracted by social media. This has no place while on duty protecting the neighborhoods and its citizens.

I meant many Policemen work Overtime-Extra hours paid by the Restaurant Owner , or Shop owner Not paid by the City.....

If a police officer is on duty wearing a uniform, he is working for and representing the city.

What I meant was , They are Not on duty...:rolleyes: Perhaps I'm not clear .or I'm confused...:cool:

Police corruption and laziness has always been and always will be a problem. They don't respect the public, and the public doesn't respect them.

In their defense, it's a terrible job. They're poorly paid, poorly trained, and receive a lot of flack from the public... even when they save someone's life. Not a lot of motivated people are going to sign up for that job. Of course, that doesn't excuse their behavior. They should still do the job they're being paid to do. But that's part of the equation.

However, it seems somewhat better than it used to be.

When I first came to Argentina 15 years ago, only the "Policia Federal" existed. All cops were older, out-of-shape, and carried equipment from the 1970s. Also, I remember seeing police officers (on duty, in uniform) cat call women passing by. .

Luckily, I've never had to deal with the police. But today, they appear better equipped and slightly more respectable. Of course, I could be wrong.

That said, problematic cops go hand-in-hand with poverty. I've never been to a poor country where people raved about their police force.

Back