Policy Options to Relieve Dollar Shortage

All of us Argentines and residents feel it is our national duty to Pursue a Patriotic Pesofication in a Pursuit of Perfect Peronism.

8) Introduce a dual currency system: Convertible Unit Currency or CUC for tourists and Moneda National for Argentinos. All imported items would be priced in CUC. Residents would be paid in Moneda National. This dual currency strategy has been successfully implemented elsewhere in this hemisphere. A basic ration of flour, sugar and mate could be purchased for $6 in the Moneda national.

9) In order to lessen the burden of consigning the Yanqui Dollar to the rubbish bin, a new $1000 peso bill can be issued with the image of Peron or Nestor - whichever makes more sense...

I actually like these.

Joe said:
What are some of the future actions the government can take to relieve their currency problems?

Here are some of my suggestions:

1) Require all tourists to spend 500 pesos a day whilst in Argentina. The tourist would be required to convert dollars (euros, etc) to pesos based on the length of their visa. For example for 30 days (30 x $500). This would also be useful for keeping some of the riff/raff, i.e. Euro trash and American hillbillies out. Overstay would be subject to a $200 dollar a day fine.

2) Impose an asset tax of 5% per annum on dollar deposits.

3) Fine any newspaper, web site etc that advertises prices in dollars, 10,000 dollars a day. Any apartment advertised in dollars would result in $10,000 dollar fine.

4) Any housing transaction not done in pesos would result in $10,000 dollar fine.

7) All foreign accounts and real property held overseas would be subject to a 10% asset tax.

Any other ideas?

Reactions: Joe
Just brilliant... I have some to add....

1. Give all public servants the right to issue arbitrary taxes if they suspect somebody has dollars.

2. Round up anybody who dissents and secretly have them silenced. It worked before

3. Shut down the media and have all public statements controlled by the communications office.

4. Create a new 'argentina para todos y para todas' holiday where dollars are burned with books in huge street bonfires.

5. Nationalize all properties and have silenced those who dissent.

6. Introduce new national controls so that food purchases must be pre-approved by afip, up to 6 pesos per day per person.

Joe, if your comment was meant as a sarcastic joke u should of added jejejejej or jajajajja. However, if your comment is seriuos, well then, it is to stupid to dignify with any other reply other than to recommend you seek professional mental healh help urgently.

Joe, if your comment was meant as a sarcastic joke u should of added jejejejej or jajajajja. However, if your comment is seriuos, well then, it is to stupid to dignify with any other reply other than to recommend you seek professional mental healh help urgently.

i think his second post has made it abundantly clear that he is being funny.

Reactions: Joe
It has been declared throughout the land that ALL PILLOWS WILL BE INSPECTED TO MAKE SURE THAT THE " ILLEGAL TO REMOVE...DO NOT TEAR OFF LABEL " IS STILL VISIBLE AND MUST REMAIN UNTIL FADED AT WHICH POINT THE OWNER WILL BE MADE TO PURCHASE A NEW ONE AND WILL BE TAXED ACCORDINGLY. One the positive side this will be create NEW JOBS! COSTING TAX PAYERS MORE MONEY!

Joe said:
What are some of the future actions the government can take to relieve their currency problems?

Here are some of my suggestions:

1) Require all tourists to spend 500 pesos a day whilst in Argentina. The tourist would be required to convert dollars (euros, etc) to pesos based on the length of their visa. For example for 30 days (30 x $500). This would also be useful for keeping some of the riff/raff, i.e. Euro trash and American hillbillies out. Overstay would be subject to a $200 dollar a day fine.

2) Impose an asset tax of 5% per annum on dollar deposits.

3) Fine any newspaper, web site etc that advertises prices in dollars, 10,000 dollars a day. Any apartment advertised in dollars would result in forfeiture of apartment.

4) Any housing transaction not done in pesos would result in forfeiture of property and $10,000 dollar fine.

5) Make illegal the possession of gold, silver and other precious metals.

6) All safe deposit boxes would be subject to inspection and all foreign currencies and precious metals would be subject to confiscation.

7) All foreign accounts and real property held overseas would be subject to a 10% asset tax.

Any other ideas?

Sorry for the currency restrictions, we're becoming a banana republic.
Beware: if you change your dollars in oficial market, you'll be paid 30% less than in the parallel market.

A lot of the things on your list are things the old government in Burma (Myanmar) has been doing for decades.

Back