Poorer than Haiti?

. Still, according to the lastest UN HDI report, Cuba ranks higher than all of South Americans outside of the cono sur. They're not doing too bad considering they no longer have the USSR to buy up all their reserves of sugar.

Source being the Cuban government itself. Independently conducted surveys are outlawed and anyone trying to conduct their own without express state permission will be arrested.
Also, Costa Rica and Panama both have a higher HDI than Cuba. And you are free to go to either country and conduct your own survey as you please, without state permission. And you are also free to challenge their numbers if the findings of your own survey are different.
Try to do that in Cuba and see how long you last before being arrested and charged with being a counter revolutionary.

And there is no realistic scenario where the country with the third largest economy in Latin America will somehow reach the poverty level of the country with the poorest

Maybe not, but 30 years ago there was no realistic scenario in which Cordoba would be less developed than Bogota, and yet, here we are.

Last edited:
Source being the Cuban government itself. Independently conducted surveys are outlawed and anyone trying to conduct their own without express state permission will be arrested.
Also, Costa Rica and Panama both have a higher HDI than Cuba. And you are free to go to either country and conduct your own survey as you please, without state permission. And you are also free to challenge their numbers if the findings of your own survey are different.
Try to do that in Cuba and see how long you last before being arrested and charged with being a counter revolutionary.

Maybe not, but 30 years ago there was no realistic scenario in which Cordoba would be less developed than Bogota, and yet, here we are.

Panama and Costa Rica are not in South America.

And why use Bógota as a point of compasison? That doesn't even make sense. It's an globally important capital city with about 6 times the population, Córdoba is a provincial capital in the middle of nowhere, of course it's going to be less developed. I was living in Bogotá this time last year, and aside from the traffic, it's a pretty decent place to live and a lot of international investment is going into that city. It also has a similar crime rate to CABA. Colombia and Argentina are literally going in two different directions economically, but you probably don't need me to tell you that. They export billions in oil, coffee, and cocaine, and Argentina exports a lot of grains.

Panama and Costa Rica are not in South America.

Neither is Cuba. Why are you comparing it with South America and omitting its more developed and more democratic Caribbean neighbors?

And why use Bógota as a point of compasison? That doesn't even make sense.

Make more sense than bringing Cuba into the conversation. And Cordoba is Argentina's 2nd largest city and the industrial heart of the country. It was once, not that long ago, much more relevant within South America than Bogota could ever have hoped to be. But that was then. Things have changed so much, that now you are asking in disbelief why I am comparing the two of them, when Bogota is obviously more relevant.
Well, that is my whole point. There was a time, not that long ago, that the thought of Colombia matching Argentina or of Bogota surpassing Cordoba, was as absurd as Argentina being as poor as Haiti.

Last edited:
Neither is Cuba. Why are you comparing it with South America and omitting its more developed and more democratic Caribbean neighbors?

Make more sense than bringing Cuba into the conversation. And Cordoba is Argentina's 2nd largest city and the industrial heart of the country. It was once, not that long ago, much more relevant within South America than Bogota could ever have hoped to be. But that was then. Things have changed so much, that now you are asking in disbelief why I am comparing the two of them, when Bogota is obviously more relevant.
Well, that is my whole point. There was a time, not that long ago, that the thought of Colombia matching Argentina or of Bogota surpassing Cordoba, was as absurd as Argentina being as poor as Haiti.

I didn't bring up Cuba, I was resonding to someone else's post about it. Colombia and Argentina have historically been much closer by most economic measures than either of them has ever been close to Haiti, and the idea that Colombia could and likely will surpass ARG shouldn't be unthinkable. They've even already caught up to them in the FIFA world rankings.

Bogota vs CABA and other Lat Am capitals:

Enough about Haiti. I’ve lived there before and after the 2010 quake. I suggest anyone who thinks CABA is anything like Port-au-Prince spend a month in the latter.

THIS is Haiti:

I just find this whole discussion hilarious.

Very recently, I was in Port- Au-Prince ( capital of Haiti) in Feb , 2020 to spend a week for some business matter. It was hell on earth. They dont have one proper hotel or a proper airport. Anyone who is comparing Argentina to Haiti is talking out of his "*sshole". Its very easy to say things without having any real idea , which is only possible after experiencing it personally.

I just find this whole discussion hilarious.

Very recently, I was in Port- Au-Prince ( capital of Haiti) in Feb , 2020 to spend a week for some business matter. It was hell on earth. They dont have one proper hotel or a proper airport. Anyone who is comparing Argentina to Haiti is talking out of his "*sshole". Its very easy to say things without having any real idea , which is only possible after experiencing it personally.
Right on target Ceviche.

Back