Postgrad In Uba/argentine Public U As Us Citizen

bronwyn1

Registered
Hi everyone!

I'm currently a junior in college (undergrad, I will finish in May of next year) and I'm seriously considering doing postgraduate work in Argentina (I'm an anthropology major, spanish minor). As for my level of Spanish, I've been living and studying in Chile since May of last year and am due to return to the US in July of this year. I take all of my classes with Chilean students here so language skills shouldn't be a problem (especially since Chileans speak even stranger/different from Spanish norm than Argentines). I have looked at postgraduate programs in Chile, but I haven't really seen anything that stands out particularly to me in my field (Argentina seems to be better for sociology/anthropology/etc while Chile is good for business and economics and political science maybe), especially in comparison to the programs I've looked at in Argentina. I definitely want to live and work in Latin America long term, so I'm not *that* worried about US universities seeing Latin American degrees as inferior or whatever (should I be?).

Obviously, there's UBA (even though I've read and heard a bunch of stories about how terribly disorganized it is and with bureaucracy probably worse than anything I've experienced in Chile), as well as the University of La Plata (UNLP) and FLASCO has a few masters and diplomas as well. I was initially thinking of doing FLASCO first (it's smaller and probably more organized than the Arg public unis) as a kind of "introduction" to Argentine academic culture (which may or may not be similar to Chilean academic culture...and then after I finish there, move on to UBA or UNLP, but if I'm completely off base with this kind of thinking, please let me know.

I've spent quite a bit of time in Argentina (not as much as Chile...around 2 months I'd say in total, combining the 3 trips I've made in the past 3 years) and particularly in CABA, as well as Santiago and Valparaiso/Viña del Mar, Chile, so I sorta know how Southern Cone city life is.

I know this post has gone on for long enough, but I just have a bunch of questions. And another thing - to apply for school in Argentina, do I have to get a criminal background check from Chile as well as the US, since I technically would've lived there for over a year? I'm not a Chilean citizen (though I have a Chilean ID card for foreigners with a RUT number) but...

Though everything you have heard is true, and then some, I wouldn't automatically rule out UBA for anthropology. The professors are very good and I like the atmosphere of the Facultad de Filosofía y Letras, though for some it's a little too much. The only problem is the Master's program only opens every two years, so the soonest you could enter would be 2015 (the deadline for 2013 was in December).

http://www.filo.uba.ar/contenidos/secretarias/posgrado/

I've heard good things about FLACSO, but don't have any first-hand knowledge.

Though everything you have heard is true, and then some, I wouldn't automatically rule out UBA for anthropology. The professors are very good and I like the atmosphere of the Facultad de Filosofía y Letras, though for some it's a little too much. The only problem is the Master's program only opens every two years, so the soonest you could enter would be 2015 (the deadline for 2013 was in December).

http://www.filo.uba....arias/posgrado/

I've heard good things about FLACSO, but don't have any first-hand knowledge.

Oh no, I'm definitely not ruling out UBA! And 2015 (March I presume) is actually perfect - that was when I was planning on beginning - since I won't graduate from university in the US until May 2014.

Hi, Im a sociologist myself. From UBA.
I recommend FLACSO or even IDES, they have a program I think for foreigners.
UBA is the number 1 university here in social sciences, but it is all very complicated and there are a lot of strikes, so you ll lose a lot of classes. Plus the burocracia... the studying conditions are not the best, athough the level is good.

i took some post grad classes at la uba, post grado en penal studies (no, not that penal), and thought the classes were pretty amazing, many better than the ones i took doing my msc in criminology at edinburgh uni, so i wouldnt rule out uba at all

ps, no one gives a shit if you are american (as am i), as long as you are not mercusor, le da igual...however, you can also look into american post grad programs that have summer/semester programs like georgetown or new school

Here's my experience doing a master's degree at UBA, hope it's helpful to some of you http://urbanexpats.com/2015/04/27/how-to-enroll-in-a-masters-program-at-uba/

Back