Posting electronics etc to Argentina

Hollienz

Registered
Hi there,

I am thinking about having a few things sent over from home but would like some advice... I've heard that it is pointless to have electronics sent over as you end up having to pay massive taxes to pick them up - is this correct? I just have a little MP3 player I would love to have sent over.

Is it the same deal when clothes are sent over too? I am looking at having my family send over a couple of winter clothes from home...maybe they can wrap up my MP3 player in the clothing and it will get by undetected?

Does anyone have any experience in receiving packages here, especially electronics? Any advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Sorry but most likely you will regret it. Listen carefully, the Argentine Aduana is not what it appears to be. Chances are high that you will get burned $$$, do not import anything through them, even just clothing. instead get stuff 'muled' in...I wish I didn't have to give you this kind of advice but I learned the hard lessons ..all cause I tried to get stuff in the 'legal' way.

I know Argentines who buy electronics in the US, let it be send over and pay 50% tax. That is still cheaper then buying them here....

Haha notebook.fix, I like your suggestion to find a mule! You can find a mule here: www.themulepool.com - the site is dedicated to matching people in Argentina with Mules.

Warning: I am the co-founder of the site so the above is not an objective opinion in any way! :)

Don't do it!!!! I currently have an old ipod my parents sent here sitting in customs at Ezeiza airport as we speak. I wish I would have found out about the customs mafia BEFORE I had my package sent over. It would honestly be cheaper after shipping costs/customs fees/transport to ezeiza to just buy new clothes/mp3 player here. Sad but true. Best bet is if you know someone coming over here to put it in their luggage, but whatever you do don't use fed ex.

I sent a set of video light via UPS, five years ago. They wanted 2000 dollars to get it out of customs. Since I paid only 300 dollars for the lights, I ended up abandoning them. They also charge storage fees from day one.

I would like to find out where they sell off abandoned items so I could maybe buy the lights they took from me.

I read somewhere that used clothing isn't taxed, is this true?

PhilipDT said:
I read somewhere that used clothing isn't taxed, is this true?

everything that is an imported good from an individual will be taxed. Now in a few instances some were able to get away with it but those are less and less. Hecha la ley, hecha la trampa but they are even taking care of the "trampa.":eek:

yes got to find a person traveling down here or try mercadolibre or even craigslist down here for an ipod... it might cost you 50 dollars more but worth the customs headache!

Thanks for all the advice!! I thought I might get responses such as these but was hoping there might be a way around it...guess not. So ridiculous!!! Thanks again, time to go shopping...

Back