Posting, Responding, Learning...

I have:

• NEVER complained about my circumstances - on line or anywhere else

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adapted to the differences well and remember that others need more time

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Personally said rude things to others on this site in the heat of a disagreement

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Chosen not to post because I was afraid that people would be rude to me

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Gotten confusing information from this site because of infighting on threads

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Stopped visiting the site at times because of the negativity

• Posted negatively but never attacked anyone else personally

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • No intention of changing any thing about my interactions here

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • A new puppy!

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • No interest in other people's feelings and just want to say what I think, however it comes across

• Total voters
It is very easy to be missunderstood when you talk only in text. I too have been attacked for saying something in all inocence. You just have to accept it as a misunderstanding and move on.
The best way to read the posts is to take out any facts, ignore hearsay (where most of the scare stories come from) and put your emotions to one side.

pericles said:
JP you need to thank Igor here as he has directed the site to a new level and one that is user friendly and balanced.

Actually, I think it is neither particularly friendly, nor it is balanced. There is a natural bias towards negativity, as it happens with many internet recourses where content is generated by real people rather than staff writers.

If you want to buy, for example, a digital camera and see 7 positive reviews and 3 negative, that does not necessarily mean that about 30% of cameras have some kind of a problem. People who had negative experience write reviews more often. And you just need always to make a correction for this fact in your mind when you read it.

Applying the same standards to an open forum as to an edited magazine is not really fair.

I am grateful to jp who managed to write more than 100 posts on the forum without even liking it. But essentially, if you believe something is missing or this forum is unbalanced, you are always free to write another message to push it into the right direction.

HYT-Thanks for doing to poll. I have used a term that offended some one apologize for the term, and then was called an idiot. The funny thing about the internet is the whole face to face disconnect. I think this site has improved from when we first started looking at it 2 years ago. You just have to take things with a grain of salt. Until someone makes the leap to move here...they will only experience things through someone elses eyes. It is only through ones experience that you grow. Sometimes that means being able to just walk away or stop typing :)

Before we moved our family here, we really struggled to find a realistic idea of what life would be like in Baires for us. I know in doing my research, I wanted to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly...it was all useful information. Part of the reason I started a blog and generally why I post on this site is to help share our experiences (good, bad and ugly) with others who are contemplating a move with a family with school-aged children.

When discussing some of the negatives about living here, I always struggle with tone and content because there is a fine line between being informative and being insulting. Ultimately, I usually think it's an issue of tone, so I ask myself: am I speaking about Buenos Aires with fondness and realism or am am I speaking about Buenos Aires with anger and realism. For instance, I recently posted on my blog about some of the challenges we face as parents with school, food, and sleep because I want other families to know what we are dealing with and how we are dealing with it...but I always am concerned about crossing the line into snarky and whiny.

It's tough.

Lixuelee, I read your blog and enjoy it, your family has taken such a positive attitude dealing with the move to Argentina, even when things aren't so good. Thanks.
Nancy

LiXueLee said:
Before we moved our family here, we really struggled to find a realistic idea of what life would be like in Baires for us. I know in doing my research, I wanted to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly...it was all useful information. Part of the reason I started a blog and generally why I post on this site is to help share our experiences (good, bad and ugly) with others who are contemplating a move with a family with school-aged children.

When discussing some of the negatives about living here, I always struggle with tone and content because there is a fine line between being informative and being insulting. Ultimately, I usually think it's an issue of tone, so I ask myself: am I speaking about Buenos Aires with fondness and realism or am am I speaking about Buenos Aires with anger and realism. For instance, I recently posted on my blog about some of the challenges we face as parents with school, food, and sleep because I want other families to know what we are dealing with and how we are dealing with it...but I always am concerned about crossing the line into snarky and whiny.

It's tough.

Yes the food here is low on fruit and vegetables but i decided lately to change that ordering 5 kilos of beautifull berries from Neuquen province per week. I actually love raspberries and get them very cheaply compared to the outrageous prices in shops here, Another benefit is the better health I have felt of late and am sure eating much more fruits is greatly beneficial.

Nancy, thank you for the kind words, sometimes we just feel like big fat babies...! And Pericles...where are you ordering berries? I'm dying to know! I would kill to be able to get a flat of raspberries. Even to freeze them to use in smoothies during the winter would be amazing. Do tell!

How, Pericles, do you manage to buy them from a far province at a low price? Do you know the grower?

pericles said:
Yes the food here is low on fruit and vegetables but i decided lately to change that ordering 5 kilos of beautifull berries from Neuquen province per week. I actually love raspberries and get them very cheaply compared to the outrageous prices in shops here, Another benefit is the better health I have felt of late and am sure eating much more fruits is greatly beneficial.
Please Pericles tell me how to order this:)

Back