Potential new expat needs advice

aimeedumonde said:
"Just come on down and hope your Argentine boyfriend believes in forever as much as you...and that life in BA with him will be better than life in NYC without him."

steveinbsas...absolutely perfect advice. Nice.

Do I need to say that I love Canadians as much as I love the French?;)

Well, I do.:)

Argentina is a very special place, and for a special personality. I think it's fantastic that you have a boyfriend to come and see.

In the professional area... I don't know which law firm it is, but I can make a guess between two or three... I'm a partner/owner in a small very successful boutique law firm in Argentina.

Feel free to send me a PM, and maybe we can exchange details, and I can give you a better panorama of working in Buenos Aires.

Miles Lewis said:
I'm from London and had an office in New York so I know both cities reasonably. Don't be put off by the constant negativity on this site. If you post a thread here saying isn't the upcoming festival of theater / Jazz / Art etc. great, you get zero replies. If you post a thread about the peanut butter famine, the malicious attempts by dogs to ruin your day, the assault the pavement has just made on you or such like, you get three editions of war and peace within 24 hours. I never understand people who say they spent 45 minutes queuing in the supermarket. They must be pretty dumb as there is no need to go to a supermarket here. There are butchers, bakers, fresh pasta shops, Bolivian greengrocers and cake and ice cream shops everywhere and they all stay open till at least 9pm. Anything else can be obtained from the chinos, normally much cheaper than the supermarkets. And if you have to get something from the supermarket, just order online and get it delivered, everything can be delivered here, the Jumbo in Palermo delivered to Puerto Madero which is miles away! You just have to understand how the city works!!!

The fact is if you have a bit of money or a reasonable job, Buenos Aires must be the best city in the world to live in. The Ministry of Culture ensures that there is always something to do and usually it is of top quality and exceedingly cheap. Where else can you go to free concerts given by Placido Domingo and the Moscow Symphony Orchestra in the same week and then see Barenboin conduct La Scala in the middle of a cities principal avenue (for free). Getting round the city is also cheap, so there is never an excuse to be bored. Yes the cuisine can be a bit samey (though I can't go two days without a decent steak now) but it is improving rapidly. Wine is also getting better every year as new participants enter the market (and there are lots of wine tastings to go to). The other great thing about the Argentines is they love to study, so whether your bag is painting or pottery, music, singing, tai chi or roller hockey you will find a class or a group to participate in. I'm not sure what sort of Lawyer you are but I suspect the biggest bonus will be working much shorter hours here and thus having time for a proper life. Yes you can make big money in London or NY but the bastard clients expect you to be available 24 hours for the privilege. I wouldn't bother to ring my Argentine lawyer after 7pm, there would be no point, but I used to be pissed if my UK lawyer didn't pick up at 9pm. Also professionally, the next decade or two is going to be all about South America, China and India. A Yanqui with South American experience is going to be in great demand.

The Australians used to describe the Brits as whingeing poms. From what I see on this site it is peopled by whingeing yanquis, but I know a lot of long term expats here who love it and have no desire to go back to their respective birthplaces. I have been spending a month or two a year here for 15 years and have lived here for the last two. My two weeks in London last month was a miserable experience and I couldn't wait to get back, not least because you can't get a decent meal after 10.30 pm there, which in my view is the earliest time one should contemplate dinner.

I share Mendozanow's politely expressed reservations about coming for love, but if you have a great job lined up I'd say take the risk. You will have a great time!! I would be delighted to meet up with you and show you what I love about this city.

Hi Miles, I just wanted to say that I enjoyed reading your post - I was nodding the whole time, and I've only spent a glorious 4 months in Buenos Aires (returning soon, for most of the reasons you talk about). Thank you for posting. All the best, Jenny

Back