Power Converters

countingdays

Registered
Has anyone purchased a converter in BA?

I need something to go from 115V/60Hz 67W to the power here (I also have something else to convert from input 120VAC 60Hz 31W output 12VAC 2000mA). What should I expect to pay? Where should I go - do prices vary across Ferreterias?

Any guidance appreciated... thanks!!

I've purchased a converter here, from a small electronics shop near my apartment (from 120v/60h to the voltage here) for about 20 pesos.

The power here is 220 volts. What you need is a transformer/transformador.

The transformer must be sized for the load.

I have a good electrical oriented ferreteria near me on Guemes and maybe Vidt, that is quite good about selling high quality transformadores- but there are many places to buy them.
You need to know how many watts your load is- most appliances, computers, and other electrical devices will say, on their nameplate, the load, either in watts or amps.
If you dont understand this stuff at all, take the device with you when you go to buy a transformer.

Too small a transformer will self destruct, and, sometimes, damage your electrical device too. Too big, and you are wasting money.

A transformer is made of stacks of steel plates, wound with copper wire. they get big, heavy, and expensive, if they need to deal with a lot of power- if you are running guitar amps, or a giant Kitchenaid mixer, or some other big load, you will want a big one. Which can cost a whole lot more than 20 pesos- $100 to $200 pesos is not uncommon for larger wattage models.
If its just a tiny electronic device, you can get away with a small one.

so you need to make sure you buy the right size for your needs.

Converters are readily available at all the little electronic storefronts around the city.

However, I learned the hard way (3 burned out US bought DVD players) that if you are going to run US bought consumer electronics you will need protection provided by a stabilizer.

The electronic current here is not consistent and can vary to the point that it strains the power source of a DVD player or similar component.

The stabilizers cost about $50 US, but it is money well spent as security against useless, unreparable equipment.

Back