Practicalities: Cordoba Y Ayachucho: Tribunales, Once

Cialu

Registered
Hello, would anyone please share some recomendations as to this neighboorhood and walking distance /around?

-greengrocer, butcher/deli, small food shops, cheese shops, bakeries, patiserries
-good restaurants that you yourself will go to, categories: nice, ethnic, romantic, seafood, quality and good ;)
-coffee place for breakfast/wi-fi
-clothing shops or fun shops as such,
- hair/nail salons if u had good experience w them
-any unmissable and fun place (been to Water Palace) nearby?
-any particular street nearby that is to be avoided walking at night?

And also: which e-translator would be best suited for Argentine Castellano? i find that google translate is shit...

Thanks so very much!

Hello, you seem to have asked quite a complex question - Av. Córdoba & Ayacucho is in Tribunales, which is mostly offices, Tribunales is a the business and legal center of the city, so Monday - Friday during business hours it's packed and during the weekends it's fairly empty and many businesses are closed. It is surrounded by Microcentro / Av. Corrientes and at the other end Recoleta, the side that neighbors with Recoleta is very nice, however there are some safety problems, especially around the "Plaza Libertad" that is right off the 9 de Julio and Paraguay. I used to work a few blocks from there and witnessed several armed robberies around that very nice plaza. It's deceiving because it's a lovely park, huge trees, fountain, but the theives know the people around there have money on them and there is a huge underground parking garage that is another magnet for robberies. Once is an entirely different type of neighborhood, very commercial, wholesale garment manufacturers, street vendors, dirty streets, broken sidewalks, food stands everywhere plus a train station that brings thousands of poeple in and out from early in the morning until around 11 at night. Not a great neighborhood to live in unless you like that type of place. And certianly not a place to walk around at night, especially around "Plaza Miserere" Av. Puerreydon & Rivadavia. The further away you get from the Plaza going south it's even worse. During the day it's generally okay but I would call the whole area unsafe at night. As far as particular businesses go you kind of have to gauge that for yourself when you are here, depends very much on personal taste. And as far as an electronic translator for Argentine castellano, written word its almost the same except for a few verb conjugations, if you speak another flavor of spanish you may be confused upon hearing it at first. Hope this helps.

Don't know that area, but I use the app Spanish Dict! on my iPhone. It's accessible offline so it helps when at the grocery store or out and about trying to figure out what something is called. It's not perfect, but you won't likely find a translator that's going to help you with 'vos' tense or all the other words Argies use that just don't translate. It is helpful though.

Hello, you seem to have asked quite a complex question - Av. Córdoba & Ayacucho is in Tribunales, which is mostly offices, Tribunales is a the business and legal center of the city, so Monday - Friday during business hours it's packed and during the weekends it's fairly empty and many businesses are closed. It is surrounded by Microcentro / Av. Corrientes and at the other end Recoleta, the side that neighbors with Recoleta is very nice, however there are some safety problems, especially around the "Plaza Libertad" that is right off the 9 de Julio and Paraguay. I used to work a few blocks from there and witnessed several armed robberies around that very nice plaza. It's deceiving because it's a lovely park, huge trees, fountain, but the theives know the people around there have money on them and there is a huge underground parking garage that is another magnet for robberies. Once is an entirely different type of neighborhood, very commercial, wholesale garment manufacturers, street vendors, dirty streets, broken sidewalks, food stands everywhere plus a train station that brings thousands of poeple in and out from early in the morning until around 11 at night. Not a great neighborhood to live in unless you like that type of place. And certianly not a place to walk around at night, especially around "Plaza Miserere" Av. Puerreydon & Rivadavia. The further away you get from the Plaza going south it's even worse. During the day it's generally okay but I would call the whole area unsafe at night. As far as particular businesses go you kind of have to gauge that for yourself when you are here, depends very much on personal taste. And as far as an electronic translator for Argentine castellano, written word its almost the same except for a few verb conjugations, if you speak another flavor of spanish you may be confused upon hearing it at first. Hope this helps.

oh dear, i hope not - i was assured it's great, safe and fantastic. exact corner would be viamonte y ayachucho, so it's kind of between the water palace and faculty of medicine - i used to live on other side of cordoba, closer to Sta fe, totally residential?

oh dear, i hope not - i was assured it's great, safe and fantastic.

Well, probably not fantastic, but it is OK after all. Look at the map where Plaza Miserere is. Hint: not even close. Plaza in front of Facultad de Medicina is probably not the best place for long night walks. To my opinion, it is neither Tribunales (too far from Palacio de la Justicia), nor Once (too far from Plaza Miserere). Balvanera, may be. With a bit of wishful thinking the place can be called "one block to Recoleta". Basically, no frills neiborhood, relatively safe. There is a Starbucks at the corner of Viamonte & Callao, but that's about it.

Well, probably not fantastic, but it is OK after all. Look at the map where Plaza Miserere is. Hint: not even close. Plaza in front of Facultad de Medicina is probably not the best place for long night walks. To my opinion, it is neither Tribunales (too far from Palacio de la Justicia), nor Once (too far from Plaza Miserere). Balvanera, may be. With a bit of wishful thinking the place can be called "one block to Recoleta". Basically, no frills neiborhood, relatively safe. There is a Starbucks at the corner of Viamonte & Callao, but that's about it.
Thanks. It is reassuring, yet rather depressing. the highlight of my neighboorhood will be Starbux ;)

We live two blocks away, closer to Ayacucho and Corrientes. The neighborhood seems fine to us. There aren't a lot of restaurants and nigntlife. We are careful at night, as we would be anywhere, but it seems safe enough. There are panaderias, fiambrerias, supermercados, etc. it is a working, middle-class neighborhood.. You need to look around for yourself.

I live in the area. (Hi Florence, we must be almost neighbors)
It is quite alright here. Very busy during weekdays and very calm weekends. Super convenient area for most errands and appointments. Most doctors, lawyers, etc is within walking distance.
Not at all that unsafe. Some mention Plaza Miserere, pretty far and there is no reason to go there unless you need to catch a train.
Actually, the police station is on Lavalle bet. Ayacucho and Riobamba so there are many cops around.

Ayacucho/Tucuman - Little bakery that is pretty ok.
If you want "dark bread" there is a new Hausbrot on Santa Fe close to ayacucho. Also there are 2 Barcelonesa, one on Ayacucho/Sarmiento and one on Ayacucho/Marcelo T. They have great chipas
Ayacucho bet Lavalle/Corrientes - Cheapest verduleria in the area. Next door, Parrilla(to bring home, place is ugly)Across the street- Butcher.
Ayacucho / Corrientes - Fiamberia, always a lot of people.
Corrientes/Ayacucho - Dia, Carrefour, "Chino". Dia is newly renovated and easily the cheapest of them all. Anyway. in the crossing Corrientes/Ayacucho you have supermarkets, verduleria, butcher, fiamberia. (and during February carnival at weekends)
Riobamba / Corrientes - Dont remember the name. Great little store with stuff only from Mendoza. Olive oils, wine, nuts, little jars with awesomeness.
Ayacucho / Lavalle - Nikkei 2020, Peruvian japanese fusion. Nice little place. Good ceviche, meat, sushi, peruvian popcorn(the best), peruvian beer. Good prices. We like to eat here.
Marcelo T / Ayacucho - Cool Cuts. Where my wife goes for the hair.
Plaza Primero de Mayo: Pasco/H. Yrigoyen is newly opened after a long renovation and is nice. Good playground for kids, a little running/walking track that goes around the park.
Also I have to recommend a bit further away on Montevideo between Viamonte/Tucuman(I think) there is a tiny little kebab-place that is really good to get you fix of middle-eastern / spicy food. The owner/chef is a super nice woman from Syria. Seems she has a little problem getting all of her ingredients because of the import-restrictions. Anyway, I recommend to drop in for a kebab with spicy sauce and a chat with the owner.
El Ateneo is close, nice to have a coffe and read a book.
Volta on Santa Fe, has a little garden that is ok.
Paseo la Plaza on Corrientes is always nice. Coffeshops, restaurants, trees, birds. Avoid or go on saturdays/sundays 12:00 - 18:00 when it is children theaters depending on if you go with kids or not.

The area is fine, dont worry. And if you want to go somewhere else for the day, you have walking distance to 3 subway lines and lots of colectivos.
Thats more options than most people in the city.

Glad to hear that those areas are safe at night? specially the areas around the Plaza Facultad. Let's say at midnight any places open around Cordoba? A friend that lives in that area calls radio taxi at night to go out and to arrive late..!!

I probably wouldn't walk through Plaza Bernardo Houssay(Plaza Facultad?) either in the middle of the night. It is usually full of skateboarders until quite late and those I get along with well and they are nothing to be scared of. They probably make the park safer.
But I would rather walk there in the middle of the night than Bosques de Palermo. I wouldn´t walk or hang out in Parque Centenario, Las Heras or pretty much any park in Buenos Aires at night.

Back