Practicalities of the Milei win

booms

Registered
Hi all,

I've had to do a bit of a deep dive as I wanted an answer to the question - "What can Milei actually do with his presidential win".

There's a mountain of people talking about their feelings (positive and negative!) but seriously little practical info.

So he has no chance of getting anything through the legislature. He'll have the Peronists in there, in far greater numbers, working against him.

What I still haven't found is any kind of realistic 'first 100 days' plan as stated by Milei. I assume he'll be able to do something using whatever the equivalent of an executirve order is - but I seriously doubt he'd be able to dollarise. That would take a large number of stakeholders, on-board, working in lockstep.

Does anyone have any reference for what he's *practically* able to do?

this is why people who are so worried about him need to step back from the ledge. like presidents before him, there will be some governing via decree which has been a popular way to do things and avoid cooperation in the name of "necessity". but this is why checks and balances in the executive exist, so that one person doesn't enact all laws on their own.

also, as far as concrete plans go, the guy just won. he doesn't take office until next month. he isn't required to immediately have a plan in place and all details clear the day or two after the election

In an ideal situation, a president is elected based on their proposed plan for national transformation, not simply as a consequence of protest voting.
i think he has given plenty of indications as to his ideas and where he wants to go. that is already known. i was referring to detailed plans.

"the ledge" refers to committing suicide. Nobody I know, Argentine or Expat, has any intention of that. My argentine friends are saddened, ashamed, and dedicated to actively promoting better opposition candidates in the future.

What Milei can do, which is what Trump and Bolsonaro did, is Flood the Zone with Shit. This is a very common right wing tactic, originated and perfected by the late Lee Atwater, of throwing out dozens of contradictory claims, lies, policies, accusations, and press releases, daily, and attempting all kinds of probably illegal presidential proclamations, executive orders, regulations, and hiring and firing.
Much of Trumps "successes" were eventually overturned by courts, or made obsolete by congressional action, but in the interim, chaos reigned, and people were fired from the government moved on to other jobs, and we lost a lot of institutional knowledge.
Milei can do a lot of damage that will later be found to be illegal or unconstitutional, but the damage will still be done.

We dont know his level of competency- hopefully, its as bad as Trump's was- but we also dont know much about the people and money behind him.
His "consultant" Santiago Caputo, for example, the "architect" of his victory, who claims to have picked Milei as the candidate years ago. Caputo comes from a family that includes former government secretaries, and an uncle who is Macri's "soul brother", as well as various company owners. He is a political consultant who has worked with Bullrich in the past, and his family connections certainly helped with fundraising.
The same way corporations and the moneyed class wrote a lot of Trump's policy, my guess is that the backstage wealthy Macri clique is writing a lot of the boring stuff that will happen without notice.

"the ledge" refers to committing suicide. Nobody I know, Argentine or Expat, has any intention of that. My argentine friends are saddened, ashamed, and dedicated to actively promoting better opposition candidates in the future.

What Milei can do, which is what Trump and Bolsonaro did, is Flood the Zone with Shit. This is a very common right wing tactic, originated and perfected by the late Lee Atwater, of throwing out dozens of contradictory claims, lies, policies, accusations, and press releases, daily, and attempting all kinds of probably illegal presidential proclamations, executive orders, regulations, and hiring and firing.
Much of Trumps "successes" were eventually overturned by courts, or made obsolete by congressional action, but in the interim, chaos reigned, and people were fired from the government moved on to other jobs, and we lost a lot of institutional knowledge.
Milei can do a lot of damage that will later be found to be illegal or unconstitutional, but the damage will still be done.

We dont know his level of competency- hopefully, its as bad as Trump's was- but we also dont know much about the people and money behind him.
His "consultant" Santiago Caputo, for example, the "architect" of his victory, who claims to have picked Milei as the candidate years ago. Caputo comes from a family that includes former government secretaries, and an uncle who is Macri's "soul brother", as well as various company owners. He is a political consultant who has worked with Bullrich in the past, and his family connections certainly helped with fundraising.
The same way corporations and the moneyed class wrote a lot of Trump's policy, my guess is that the backstage wealthy Macri clique is writing a lot of the boring stuff that will happen without notice.
since you want to take ledge literally to mean suicide, and ignore the metaphor, then I'd like to see where specifically zones were full of actual shit

You seem to be confusing fiction and fact.

Hi all,

I've had to do a bit of a deep dive as I wanted an answer to the question - "What can Milei actually do with his presidential win".

There's a mountain of people talking about their feelings (positive and negative!) but seriously little practical info.

So he has no chance of getting anything through the legislature. He'll have the Peronists in there, in far greater numbers, working against him.

What I still haven't found is any kind of realistic 'first 100 days' plan as stated by Milei. I assume he'll be able to do something using whatever the equivalent of an executirve order is - but I seriously doubt he'd be able to dollarise. That would take a large number of stakeholders, on-board, working in lockstep.

Does anyone have any reference for what he's *practically* able to do?
To close the Congress and became a dictator under siege State?

Back