Practicalities: Cordoba Y Ayachucho: Tribunales, Once

Hi thats my barrio too!

-greengrocer, butcher/deli, small food shops, cheese shops, bakeries, patiserries
There is a really good deli on Uriburu between Tucuman and Viamonte

-good restaurants that you yourself will go to, categories: nice, ethnic, romantic, seafood, quality and good ;)
Erm don't know of any.

-coffee place for breakfast/wi-fi
Hmmm maybe Havana on Uriburu and Corrientes or Starbucks on Viamonte and Callo. Tuns of local cafes but of dubious quality.

-clothing shops or fun shops as such,
I did see a vintage shop somewhere around Lavalle, apart from that I don't know of any.

-any unmissable and fun place (been to Water Palace) nearby?
No

-any particular street nearby that is to be avoided walking at night?
Its not the safest place at night but I've never had a problem in 2 years of living there.

As mentioned its a no frills barrio but its cheap and central to most things.
I tend to head out to Villa Crespo or Almagro for coffee or restaurants.

Would dfefinitely not consider that location as Tribunales, which stands quite a few blocks on the other side of Callao and closer to 9 de Julio.

If you move there. you`ll likely orbit the Sta Fe and Ayacucho area. Only a couple of streets following traffic. Friendier, better lit and with plenty of available social activities and places to enjoy. Make Sta Fè your main street.

Callao and Ayacucho is mostly populated by students during the day since it is next to an open University campus. A few faculties in a three block radius. The area is neighboring Once and you`ll likely notice few othodox jews with their traditional looks.
Also a lot of schools nearby. Therefore places to eat cheap are easy to spot.

I live in the area. (Hi Florence, we must be almost neighbors)
It is quite alright here. Very busy during weekdays and very calm weekends. Super convenient area for most errands and appointments. Most doctors, lawyers, etc is within walking distance.
Not at all that unsafe. Some mention Plaza Miserere, pretty far and there is no reason to go there unless you need to catch a train.
Actually, the police station is on Lavalle bet. Ayacucho and Riobamba so there are many cops around.

Ayacucho/Tucuman - Little bakery that is pretty ok.
If you want "dark bread" there is a new Hausbrot on Santa Fe close to ayacucho. Also there are 2 Barcelonesa, one on Ayacucho/Sarmiento and one on Ayacucho/Marcelo T. They have great chipas
Ayacucho bet Lavalle/Corrientes - Cheapest verduleria in the area. Next door, Parrilla(to bring home, place is ugly)Across the street- Butcher.
Ayacucho / Corrientes - Fiamberia, always a lot of people.
Corrientes/Ayacucho - Dia, Carrefour, "Chino". Dia is newly renovated and easily the cheapest of them all. Anyway. in the crossing Corrientes/Ayacucho you have supermarkets, verduleria, butcher, fiamberia. (and during February carnival at weekends)
Riobamba / Corrientes - Dont remember the name. Great little store with stuff only from Mendoza. Olive oils, wine, nuts, little jars with awesomeness.
Ayacucho / Lavalle - Nikkei 2020, Peruvian japanese fusion. Nice little place. Good ceviche, meat, sushi, peruvian popcorn(the best), peruvian beer. Good prices. We like to eat here.
Marcelo T / Ayacucho - Cool Cuts. Where my wife goes for the hair.
Plaza Primero de Mayo: Pasco/H. Yrigoyen is newly opened after a long renovation and is nice. Good playground for kids, a little running/walking track that goes around the park.
Also I have to recommend a bit further away on Montevideo between Viamonte/Tucuman(I think) there is a tiny little kebab-place that is really good to get you fix of middle-eastern / spicy food. The owner/chef is a super nice woman from Syria. Seems she has a little problem getting all of her ingredients because of the import-restrictions. Anyway, I recommend to drop in for a kebab with spicy sauce and a chat with the owner.
El Ateneo is close, nice to have a coffe and read a book.
Volta on Santa Fe, has a little garden that is ok.
Paseo la Plaza on Corrientes is always nice. Coffeshops, restaurants, trees, birds. Avoid or go on saturdays/sundays 12:00 - 18:00 when it is children theaters depending on if you go with kids or not.

The area is fine, dont worry. And if you want to go somewhere else for the day, you have walking distance to 3 subway lines and lots of colectivos.
Thats more options than most people in the city.

Hi, you don't even know how helpful this level of detail is for me! Thank you so very much.
I wanted to stay around some places i knew (eg ElBeso, Carrefour on Santa Fe, Babieka for 24/7 bad coffee ;) and within close proximity to Congreso, which is where most traditional milongas happen. And i liked the blocks around Riobamba y Sta Fe, where i was staying before. But i also appreciate that ambience/security may change depending on which block or side of street you are... For some reason, locals steered heavily toward Recoleta/Palermo recomendations, which was surprising to me.

I live in the area. (Hi Florence, we must be almost neighbors)
It is quite alright here. Very busy during weekdays and very calm weekends. Super convenient area for most errands and appointments. Most doctors, lawyers, etc is within walking distance.
Not at all that unsafe. Some mention Plaza Miserere, pretty far and there is no reason to go there unless you need to catch a train.
Actually, the police station is on Lavalle bet. Ayacucho and Riobamba so there are many cops around.

Ayacucho/Tucuman - Little bakery that is pretty ok.
If you want "dark bread" there is a new Hausbrot on Santa Fe close to ayacucho. Also there are 2 Barcelonesa, one on Ayacucho/Sarmiento and one on Ayacucho/Marcelo T. They have great chipas
Ayacucho bet Lavalle/Corrientes - Cheapest verduleria in the area. Next door, Parrilla(to bring home, place is ugly)Across the street- Butcher.
Ayacucho / Corrientes - Fiamberia, always a lot of people.
Corrientes/Ayacucho - Dia, Carrefour, "Chino". Dia is newly renovated and easily the cheapest of them all. Anyway. in the crossing Corrientes/Ayacucho you have supermarkets, verduleria, butcher, fiamberia. (and during February carnival at weekends)
Riobamba / Corrientes - Dont remember the name. Great little store with stuff only from Mendoza. Olive oils, wine, nuts, little jars with awesomeness.
Ayacucho / Lavalle - Nikkei 2020, Peruvian japanese fusion. Nice little place. Good ceviche, meat, sushi, peruvian popcorn(the best), peruvian beer. Good prices. We like to eat here.
Marcelo T / Ayacucho - Cool Cuts. Where my wife goes for the hair.
Plaza Primero de Mayo: Pasco/H. Yrigoyen is newly opened after a long renovation and is nice. Good playground for kids, a little running/walking track that goes around the park.
Also I have to recommend a bit further away on Montevideo between Viamonte/Tucuman(I think) there is a tiny little kebab-place that is really good to get you fix of middle-eastern / spicy food. The owner/chef is a super nice woman from Syria. Seems she has a little problem getting all of her ingredients because of the import-restrictions. Anyway, I recommend to drop in for a kebab with spicy sauce and a chat with the owner.
El Ateneo is close, nice to have a coffe and read a book.
Volta on Santa Fe, has a little garden that is ok.
Paseo la Plaza on Corrientes is always nice. Coffeshops, restaurants, trees, birds. Avoid or go on saturdays/sundays 12:00 - 18:00 when it is children theaters depending on if you go with kids or not.

The area is fine, dont worry. And if you want to go somewhere else for the day, you have walking distance to 3 subway lines and lots of colectivos.
Thats more options than most people in the city.

Great post! I'll shall be checking some of those out this weekend.

Hi thats my barrio too!

-greengrocer, butcher/deli, small food shops, cheese shops, bakeries, patiserries
There is a really good deli on Uriburu between Tucuman and Viamonte

-good restaurants that you yourself will go to, categories: nice, ethnic, romantic, seafood, quality and good ;)
Erm don't know of any.

-coffee place for breakfast/wi-fi
Hmmm maybe Havana on Uriburu and Corrientes or Starbucks on Viamonte and Callo. Tuns of local cafes but of dubious quality.

-clothing shops or fun shops as such,
I did see a vintage shop somewhere around Lavalle, apart from that I don't know of any.

-any unmissable and fun place (been to Water Palace) nearby?
No

-any particular street nearby that is to be avoided walking at night?
Its not the safest place at night but I've never had a problem in 2 years of living there.

As mentioned its a no frills barrio but its cheap and central to most things.
I tend to head out to Villa Crespo or Almagro for coffee or restaurants.

You sound like you know what you are talking about and have a decent filter. Thanks for your feedback! May i ask re particular recomendations in either V.Crespo or Almagro which you'd go to, aside from the ones usually mentioned in tourist guides?

Thanks!

You sound like you know what you are talking about and have a decent filter. Thanks for your feedback! May i ask re particular recomendations in either V.Crespo or Almagro which you'd go to, aside from the ones usually mentioned in tourist guides?

Thanks!

Here are a few of my favourites

Guardia la vieja:
Guardia vieja y Billinghurst
Cheap but good bar food, gets full early

Troquet de Henry
Guardia 3460
Bit more 'rustic' cheap pizza (not the best but eatable) Pretty decent empanadas.
Very slow service.
Buena Onda, I like this place.

La Esperanza (tapas bar)
http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/restaurantes/La-Esperanza-de-los-Ascurra-10436
One of my favourite places in BA
A bit pricy but great food and cool vibe.

El buen sabor
African restaurant
http://www.elbuensaborafricano.com.ar

I forgot, on Sarmiento/Junin there is a Prosciutto which is nice. It also has a rotisseria if you want to bring home some yummy food.
http://www.prosciuttoilvero.com.ar/

Also, on Corrientes close to Ayacucho there is a little jazz bar that is easy to miss since you dont even notice that its there until they open after 23:00 or so.
There is also a little theater right there that serves coffee, beer, picadas etc that is pretty nice. I would recommend it for winter though.

Itsy,
Nice roundup of the barrio. I would have written just about the same if I hadn't been too lazy. I would just add that we think the Bodegon de la Calle Ayacucho that you mentioned as the parilla beside the verduleria has the best choripan in town. Also, there are tons of buses, including the #60 bus that seems to go everywhere. I am going to look for the Syrian lady on Montevideo. There is also a good Doner kebab and felafel place on Pasteur just north of Tucuman.

Thanks everyone! so it was pointed out to me that actually this is Balvanera, not Tribunales/Once as i thought.
And to look 'up' ie toward Santa Fe, for all these things i listed. So - any suggestions as to :
-cafes, good restaurants, salons, safe/unsafe blocks, shops in Santa Fe/ Barrio Norte , coming from Viamonte y Ayachucho ?

As things in life go, i will have to move from that place elsewhere (found out yesterday ;)
Funny, same very thing happened on my 1st trip to BsAs, i even made up an advertising compaign:
"Argentina, the land of milk and honey; get fucked prior to stepping off the airplane" ;)

So after my Balvanera stay, i'll be moving either to Palermo Soho, Hollywood, or 'chico-nuevo" - ie near botanical garden/parks.
Any recomendations would be welcome in terms of area, i also have a feeling these distinctions are rather superficial.

Back