Pregnancy. Having trouble getting insurance.

va2ba

Registered
We're pregnant for the second time in 2 years. After our first baby was born, our insurance ended up being cancelled on us, which we thought would be fine because we weren't expecting to be pregnant again so soon.

Here is the thing though, we've been trying since October to get some form of insurance to cover the birth in a private hospital here, but we've been told the same thing by everyone that we have called. They have all said that we cannot join until the government finalizes something about the subsidies that were helping people to cover the costs of the birth, which has in the mean time been completely taken away (I don't understand the exact details of this, but that seem to be what it is).

So every time that we call, we keep getting the same thing telling us that we cannot join right now, but that we'll be able to in a few weeks. Right now, with the baby being due at the end of May, we're at the point where even if these laws get sorted out and they start accepting people for pregnancies and deliveries, we're going to be past the deadline that most of these hospitals have.

I am at a loss as to what to do.

A few more details. We may be able to fly to the US by the end of March depending on my wife's visa interview and if she is able to handle the flight, but I don't think we'd be in any better of a situation, and I do not have insurance in the US to cover this, so I would have to scramble and try to find a plan to cover the delivery.

Our last baby was born by an emergency C-section, and since the pregnancies are so close together, this one will have to be a C-section as well (as per Argentine law).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Can I pay to have a C-section done at a private hospital and then pay for a few days of care for my wife and the baby?

Any advice at all would be very helpful.

Go in person to Hospital Aleman, you will have to pay for the preexisting pregnancy months but she will be covered.

I was going to refer you to the thread that talked about paying upfront for insurance but I see you already posted on there.

You can pay outright for labor/delivery/recovery stay at most hospitals. We had our baby at Sanatorio Anchorena last year, we were happy with the facilities, neonatology etc. If you have to pay cash I would think it would be cheaper there than other facilities (ie Trinidad, Arcos, Otomendi, Instituto Diagnostico) as it is a CFK project. For instance, when we looked at sanatorios we looked at Anchorena, Diagnostico and Otamendi. Anchorena asked the least for the room coverage for the spouse (100 pesos a night vs 400 pesos at Otamendi). You may not get the laptop, the flatscreen, or the pool that you may get at other private hospitals, but the medical teams are very good and the OBGYNs and neonatologists also practice at Otamendi, Suizo, Materdei etc so really the only difference you're getting is the recovery room.

As far as going back to the USA for baby -- 1) It will be SO much more expensive to have the baby there than here. 2)You will have to stay there at least for a few weeks in order to feel well enough to travel back so more costs incurred there. 3) You don't have insurance there so you will have to pay your initial visits with Pediatricians out of pocket as well.

And most importantly: 4) Your wife delivered her first via emergency C-section -- to me this is a big red flag that says DO NOT travel in the last couple of months of pregnancy, especially if this pregnancy has come before 18months have passed from first C-Section. There is no reason to put her and baby's health at risk. If your first was delivered early, it's very possible that this one will deliver earlier.

Side note -- I can't remember from your post but if your wife has had 18mos between pregnancies then there are OBGYNs here in Argentina that will go for a VBAC - my own for instance. If it's less than 18mos they are very conservative here and will recommend a C-Section and they will probably even recommend an earlier delivery (around 37 weeks) because of the risk that the scar tissue will not have healed enough to deal with the stretching that comes in the last few weeks of pregnancy.

We've been calling everyone. No one is offering plans for anything until the government gets everything sorted out.

We've called Hospital Aleman, and they won't do it until they know how much it will cost them.

syngirl, We had 4 months between pregnancies so I agree that it is not wise to get on a plane that late in the pregnancy.

I am willing to pay out of pocket, but NO ONE is offering insurance to cover these things at the moment.

I also know that we can have the delivery in a public hospital, but my wife is really hoping to avoid doing that. Does anyone have any stories to tell about delivering or having a c-section in the public hospitals here?

Is she seeing a Dr.? They usually know everything about the coverage or where to go, etc. if you can pay privately.

Does she have a dni? If so , one idea is to get her formally hired by some friend and you will get obra social or private insurance and they must cover everything no matter what by law.

At public hospitals everything is free, not fancy, but should be fine.

Try asking Bajo Cero from the forum, I m sure that after the recent regulation on private health insurance, with a good lawyer they MUST take her at any private insurance plan.

You could also get a CUIT number, pay monotributo and get an obras social.

Back