Pregnancy. Having trouble getting insurance.

nikad said:
Hey, and Congratulations!!!

Thanks! We are excited but this is making us nervous. Right now it looks like we can just pay for the c-section out of pocket and pay for a few days in the hospital without trying to get insurance.

va2ba said:
Thanks! We are excited but this is making us nervous. Right now it looks like we can just pay for the c-section out of pocket and pay for a few days in the hospital without trying to get insurance.

Hey -- yes congrats as well! (though I'm sure it was a bit of a shock!) Yes you can pay everything out of pocket without needing to get any insurance at all. I'm not sure how much this would run these days, depends on the sanatorio. Supposedly Arcos is around 5000 pesos for a regular delivery, but this is just an unconfirmed rumour so don't hold me to it.

The other thing you should try and see is whether or not you will be able to get any sort of coverage at all that will at least allow you to get a bit of a re-integro afterwards, if nothing else perhaps you can ask one of the seguros if it will be possible to sign up your child when born and get a reintegro for the neonatology fees, it will at least cut down on some of your out of pocket expenses.

Your ObGyn may not be as helpful as you would think with knowledge on this -- but they can at least provide you with a list of sanatorios where they could deliver you and you can go to their billing departments and discuss options further in person.

Good luck!

Hospital Italiano is the most expensive option I have looked at, but like the rest, their insurance is not taking any new accounts.

We've talked to Hospital Aleman and we can pay out of pocket there for 25000 pesos. So at least I know that there is an option. We'll be calling around to all the other private hospitals to see how much it would cost.

I will look and see if we can get a plan to cover the baby after it is born, but its the same issue, they aren't taking on new customers. Hopefully they will get all this BS figured out so people can get private insurance again.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Well, it is illegal that they quit your contract. So, you can go back to your old medical insurance through an amparo de salud and you can force them to have you back as a client.
Regards

I would avoid public, I have heard they do the old fashioned vertical scar for c-section, although I repeat this is hear-say.
Sanatorio Trinidad de Palermo is an option if you are paying out of pocket. They work with lots of pre-pagos. I managed to use my UK international insurance with this hospital based on their ties with one of the local insurance companies here so maybe you could find a US international insurer who can do the same for you?

Back