Prenatal Vitamins?

MizzMarr

Registered
Hello ladies:) I just found out that I'm pregnant, but I'm too early on to go and get scheduled with my recommended OB. I want to get started on prenatals right away, for those of you who've been pregnant and had babies here, how was your experience? Did you get good prenatals prescribed by your OB/covered by insurance? I'm taking folic acid, dha/epa/fishoil, and b-complex, but I know that there are more that I might be lacking, and I'm concerned about mixing my own concoctions for fear of taking too much of one thing or too little of another. I'm thinking of buying a 30 day supply to get me through the next few weeks, and hope that some of you may have a recommendation that doesn't include ordering vitamins from outside of Argentina. I'd appreciate any recommendations!!

Cheers!

Hey, congratulations!
As far as prenatals are concerned, ANY over the counter will do. They all have what you will need! As far as concocting your own mix, you should be fine because your body will automatically expel any unneeded vitamin or any "extra". The body only uses what it needs and you will pee out the rest.
But good to start right away because the first 28 days after conception is when the spinal column is developing and iron and folic acid is crucial at this point.
Good luck and best wishes!

I'm not sure if this is always the case, but 2 different Farmacity stores wouldn't sell me pre-natal vitamins without a prescription. When I did finally get them (w/ prescription) they were good quality and not expensive.

Thanks, Mari!

Thank you ladies for your feedback!! I'll search around for something and also check the little farmacy shops over facamcity, too, to see if they'll sell me some without the Rx.

Cheers!

Congratulations!! I am a maternity nurse and just wanted to chime in about the prenatals. Excess Vitamin A can be harmful to a developing fetus. This vitamin, along with several others, doesn't get excreted in excess, but is actually stored in fat which can build up in your system and cause damage. This is one of the reason why prenatal vitamins are designed precisely for the pregnant mother with appropriate amounts of vitamins, folic acid, iron, etc. to keep the fetus safe and developing normally. If the pharmacy won't give you the vitamins with out a Rx then I would just make an appointment to get the Rx so that you can get started on something designed for your pregnancy.

If you are interested, I offer childbirth education classes, etc. Below is my website:

www.buenosairesbabies.com

Congrats again!

Robyn

RNazz said:
Congratulations!! I am a maternity nurse and just wanted to chime in about the prenatals. Excess Vitamin A can be harmful to a developing fetus. This vitamin, along with several others, doesn't get excreted in excess, but is actually stored in fat which can build up in your system and cause damage. This is one of the reason why prenatal vitamins are designed precisely for the pregnant mother with appropriate amounts of vitamins, folic acid, iron, etc. to keep the fetus safe and developing normally. If the pharmacy won't give you the vitamins with out a Rx then I would just make an appointment to get the Rx so that you can get started on something designed for your pregnancy.

If you are interested, I offer childbirth education classes, etc. Below is my website:

www.buenosairesbabies.com

Congrats again!

Robyn
Thanks, Robyn! :)
Actually, I just read about an overdosage (above 10k iu) of vitamin A potentially causing heart, nervous system, bone and other possible defects. I am proceeding with caution, but is there anything else related to vitamins off the top of your head that I need to be particularly wary of? I am looking into your education classes. Cheers!

Vitamin A is the most concerning during pregnancy. As far as the other nutrients go, it is important to be getting enough (ie: folic acid, iron, calcium, DHA, etc.). Sounds like you are on the right track with already taking calcium, fish oil/DHA, folic acid, etc. However, when you do get started on a prenatal vitamin, be sure that you discontinue the individual vitamins (except keep taking the fish oil/DHA as I doubt the prentatals have that in them here - but you could double check) so that you don't exceed the recommended allowence. If you want some guidelines - here is a great website that has information on how much of each vitamin you should be getting when you are pregnant or lactating : http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/nutrientguidelines.htm Its a little difficult to read, but it gives you an idea. And, of course, follow what your OB says once you meet with him or her.

Let me know if you have any questions about the classes! Have a great week!

a quick update: I went with a friend of mine today to Farmacity. She asked for prenatal vitamins and they were given to her without a prescription. Go figure :)

Back