Prepagos (private insurance) increase again

syngirl

Registered
Prepagos are to go up another 12% in July / August and then another expected increase before the end of the year. Considering numbers were just released this morning for official inflation for May and they say less than 1%, how do the Prepagos justify this? Do they never have to present any evidence to justify their 30% annual increases??

Has anyone ever had anything from their insurance company that gives any statements for why they are increasing?

I know most Americans still consider the insurance here cheap, but for Canadians most plans here are much more expensive. It's absolutely incredible to me the amount of money I pay and I'm in perfect health with no existing conditions! I can't imagine what the fees must be for those with health problems.

Apparently they justified this increase by saying it is needed in order to update their workers salaries... I have also ready that each company is free to do it or not ( yeah right! ) It is not more costly to have health insurance here if you have existing conditions: they give you insurance but will not cover the existence.

I read recently in the news that there is debate going on about whether these companies should cover IVF treatment for couples who are having troubles conceiving naturally. I don't know if this has been decided upon, but you can assume the companies will raise their premiums for everyone to cover these costs if it does go ahead.

erindanelle said:
I read recently in the news that there is debate going on about whether these companies should cover IVF treatment for couples who are having troubles conceiving naturally. I don't know if this has been decided upon, but you can assume the companies will raise their premiums for everyone to cover these costs if it does go ahead.

Same thing happened with the gastric bypass...

Syngirl...where did you read or get this information?? Our insurance went up from 685.00 pesos in January of 08 to nearly 1100 now!!! That is for 2 people....outragous!!
We went in and complained to our agent, a really great gal, and she was going to try and get us a 10% discount...hasn't happened yet...:(
Please post where you found the information I would like to get a copy of it...thanks!

syngirl said:
Prepagos are to go up another 12% in July / August and then another expected increase before the end of the year. Considering numbers were just released this morning for official inflation for May and they say less than 1%, how do the Prepagos justify this? Do they never have to present any evidence to justify their 30% annual increases??

Has anyone ever had anything from their insurance company that gives any statements for why they are increasing?

I know most Americans still consider the insurance here cheap, but for Canadians most plans here are much more expensive. It's absolutely incredible to me the amount of money I pay and I'm in perfect health with no existing conditions! I can't imagine what the fees must be for those with health problems.

Good point, according to the government there isn't any inflation. This fiction is maintained by the government to enable lower payments to Argentine bond holders(i.e. bonds that the government must pay interest on that are adjusted for inflation). Reporting low inflation keeps the interest payments lower. Of course screwing bond holders, or nationalizing pension funds scares many potential investors in the Argentina economy away.

Actually I believe the insurance rates are set or approved by the government. With the real rate of inflation being 20% or more we can expect continued increases.

On TN first thing this morning

3rd increase this year and there will be another in November

If you go to the Sociedad section you'll find the video -- it would only let me embed not link, sorry

http://www.tn.com.ar/

soulskier said:
Is this across the board like OSDE and Swiss Medical?

According to their report, yes it's across the board.

Las Prepagas estan por subir 12% a partir de Julio en los planes de los hospitales y de comunidad y en agosto en los restas de las impresas prepagas

Y en noviembre o diciembre va a tener otro aumento similar.

Go to TN.com.ar to the sociedad seccion and the story is there "Las prepagas suben un 12%"

They go on to say that the recent increases haven't kept up with rising prices during the crisis etc etc....

erindanelle said:

OSDE does cover but you have to be with them for a certain time before being able to receive the treatment, and in a certain level of the programme. I'm not sure which, I have a friend that knows all about it, I can ask her next time I see her.

Back