Presidential Transition

Cristina is determined to have the last word for better or worse and her last ceremony tonight at the Casa Rosada, where she will be unveiling a bust of Nestor, will no doubt be charged with rhetoric. Or will she take the opportunity to leave with dignity?

They claim that the Busts for former Presidents De la Rua and Menem have not been ordered yet, The last one unveiled by her was Alfonsin's

Dignity? Hardly.

The gracious lady is having a busy day. On what has now been confirmed by the Justicia to be her last day in office, she makes 50 appointments, including 2 ambassadors, and cuts a check to the IMF for $4 billion.

Macri should be grateful indeed if she doesn't get wasted with her friends tonight and trash the Salon Blanco and/or the Quinta de Olivos. You know, leave the place covered with human vomit and dog poop. Or at least take some furniture home.

The reason Macri's team had asked the judge to rule on this, is that CFK wanted to be at the podium when Macri takes the oath. Since the handover was not going to happen at the Congress, why did the president want so much to be at the podium, and not in the same gallery as the other former presidents who she is now joining? We will never know precisely what surprise was had in mind, but the angry reaction by the K's over being formally sent home a few hours early - talking about a coup d'etat (huh?), planning a boycott - makes it appear quite probable that some designs were thwarted by the judge's decision.

Gracious lady that she is, she expresses her indignation with asking for a judge's opinion staging a coup, by attempting a congressional boycott of the inaugural. (Or is the coup nonsense rendered moot once the judge has weighed in exactly as the fiscal had petitioned?)

While of limited relevance legally - I'm not even sure that a quorum is required - it could be useful for Macri to have the fault lines in the congress delineated clearly, before there's anything to blame on him. The first press conferences where the real numbers are revealed, should also address the levels to which the former government will resort to sabotage anything not theirs.

Meanwhile the wheels of justice are starting to turn in the case of K-owned HoteSur, whose hotel Alto Calafate billed Aerolineas Argentinas for 35 thousand nights, for a team of 6 flight attendants. Divided by 6, that's about 15 years. If all 6 had stayed at the hotel every night of the year, since 2008, that still leaves another 7 years to go. Score one point for Macri: he comes to government having made (and/or inherited) his money, he doesn't need to engage in outright thievery.

I think the main point is the one raised by AmigoArtistico. People are not stupid, that's why Macri won. If he stays honest, and keeps some blocs on his side, as he's trying to do with Moyano, people will trust him. There will be major pressure on the obstructionists/saboteurs to get in line - particularly when they are deprived of a government megaphone.

Macri should be grateful indeed if she doesn't get wasted with her friends tonight and trash the Salon Blanco and/or the Quinta de Olivos. You know, leave the place covered with human vomit and dog poop. Or at least take some furniture home.

I said a long time ago that Macri should send in a photography team before his people get anywhere near, just to document (and publicize) whatever nastiness has gone on.

I'm sure it's happened before, but this is the first time I've heard of a presidential inauguration being boycotted by order of the outgoing president.

I'm sure it's happened before, but this is the first time I've heard of a presidential inauguration being boycotted by order of the outgoing president.
I made a sarcastic illusion earlier to this traspaso looking like it's choreographed by the Marx Brothers. It's looking more and more like Freedonia every day now. And while cfk might look better with a painted-on mustache, she'll never be as funny as Groucho.

Back