President's son speaks out

(above quote edited for brevity)

This is me all over. I have no problem with them living their chosen lives, but the sense of entitlement really annoys me. Equality does not mean preferential treatment.

I think there is a lot of resentment and hurt over past mistreatment. This is expressing itself in anger and what you call a sense of entitlement. Society is confused and in a transition but not clear where things are going.

I think there is a lot of resentment and hurt over past mistreatment. This is expressing itself in anger and what you call a sense of entitlement. Society is confused and in a transition but not clear where things are going.

This is an excellent observation, and I do agree. "Quo Vadis?" is the great question of our time. Where do we go from here?

It is very strange to be here in Argentina, 8000km from the city of my birth, and see the craziness happening in the USA right now. But I will say that I am very glad to be here and not there. Argentina has its problems, sure, but...

This is an excellent observation, and I do agree. "Quo Vadis?" is the great question of our time. Where do we go from here?

It is very strange to be here in Argentina, 8000km from the city of my birth, and see the craziness happening in the USA right now. But I will say that I am very glad to be here and not there. Argentina has its problems, sure, but...
Or we could be in Lebanon. A fine mess there.

Or we could be in Lebanon. A fine mess there.
Discussion of Lebanon inevitably leads to comments on Lebanon's southern neighbour, and 30 seconds later somebody will be calling somebody else anti-Semantic. So let's not go there.

That's a very angry, deeply scarred person speaking. No way his childhood was happy.
Of course his childhood was not happy.

The guy is obviously "different" than mainstream. Homophobic slurs are completely common place within even the most innocent conversations here "puto" this "puto" that - imagine how many times he has heard it in his life on repeat reinforcing a message that he is somehow a "negative" being.
He has probably encountered numerous people who "tolerate" him but suggest he is "mentally ill" or "just going through a phase" or otherwise reminding him how exotic (aka "different") he is making him feel like he is kept at arms length all his life. His rant about his social media being filled with hate messages saying he deserves to die for being the way he is is true - I can only imagine the quantity and severity of these messages has increased by being the son of a sitting president, politics aside.

In light of that, I don't think he is asking for privilege or entitlement at all.

Those that think someone from a minority standing up for their rights or to bullying is automatically and in all cases looking for privilege or entitlement are essentially just saying "go and die quietly." They give the space to those who go one step further and cause direct harm to others. Some of these people may actually enjoy the show of human suffering and see it as an opportunity to make themselves feel a little more important by "being a victim" of someone else's injustice to liven up their own otherwise unhappy and mediocre lives.

Well AF was brave enough to face the music knowingly that his Gay son was going to be in front page of the campaign.. And thereafter.
Dick Cheney pulled out..! to protect his lesbian daughter ...

The Telegraph
THE issue of homosexuality took centre stage in the presidential election yesterday when it was revealed that the younger daughter of Dick Cheney, the Republican vice-presidential candidate, is a lesbian.
Mr Cheney, a former defence secretary, decided not to run for the White House in 1996 partly out of a desire to protect the privacy of his daughter Mary, 31. Democratic critics said yesterday that the sexual orientation of Miss Cheney was at odds with the political philosophy of her father's new boss, George W Bush, who is said to have told conservative supporters that he will not appoint homosexuals if he wins the White House in November.

Of course his childhood was not happy.

The guy is obviously "different" than mainstream. Homophobic slurs are completely common place within even the most innocent conversations here "puto" this "puto" that - imagine how many times he has heard it in his life on repeat reinforcing a message that he is somehow a "negative" being.
He has probably encountered numerous people who "tolerate" him but suggest he is "mentally ill" or "just going through a phase" or otherwise reminding him how exotic (aka "different") he is making him feel like he is kept at arms length all his life. His rant about his social media being filled with hate messages saying he deserves to die for being the way he is is true - I can only imagine the quantity and severity of these messages has increased by being the son of a sitting president, politics aside.

In light of that, I don't think he is asking for privilege or entitlement at all.

Those that think someone from a minority standing up for their rights or to bullying is automatically and in all cases looking for privilege or entitlement are essentially just saying "go and die quietly." They give the space to those who go one step further and cause direct harm to others. Some of these people may actually enjoy the show of human suffering and see it as an opportunity to make themselves feel a little more important by "being a victim" of someone else's injustice to liven up their own otherwise unhappy and mediocre lives.

I think you're right. I suspect he has suffered a great deal, hence his anger. Regarding someone else's comment about Cheney, George Bush's wife, Laura, has publicly supported same sex marriage. George Bush converted to Protestant fundamentalism so he may not have changed his views.

Back