Press freedom

El chabon

Registered
Can you imagine any journalist in a democracy begin forced to publicize his income and assets and therefor can become pressured by the government of that country?

El chabon said:
Can you imagine any journalist in a democracy begin forced to publicize his income and assets and therefor can become pressured by the government of that country?

Yes and a President that gets on national TV and singles out her critics then never has a press conferences. Pretty cool huh.

I don't think the government likes the fact that they're getting called out for doubling their wealth in a year, when they believe that the big-wigs at Grupo Clarin probably show similar results for the last year. Two wrongs evidently make a right.

With that said, I don't see how this actually has anything to do with attacking the press. If it is true that Magnetto and crew made significant increases in their wealth like CFK, her defense minister, Macri, etc., then I guess it would be like the pot calling the kettle black. However, the pot calling the kettle black doesn't negate the fact that tax evasion is likely occurring on all parts of the political spectrum. The government banks on such hypocrisy to discredit the opposition. It works.

Norway publishes all tax returns online. It's one of the strongest democratic governments in the world.

thomasb said:
Being from Norway I have many times thought about how that would work here, It would be like a super crime tool.

People who don't want subsidies?

Either way this would the main argument against it in any other country then Norway. In my countries a 'rich list' leads to targetting people on that list. No idea if that ever happens in Norway

I personally wouldn't have any moral objections against it just the security situation would mean I am against it.

bradlyhale said:
I don't think the government likes the fact that they're getting called out for doubling their wealth in a year, when they believe that the big-wigs at Grupo Clarin probably show similar results for the last year. Two wrongs evidently make a right.

With that said, I don't see how this actually has anything to do with attacking the press. If it is true that Magnetto and crew made significant increases in their wealth like CFK, her defense minister, Macri, etc., then I guess it would be like the pot calling the kettle black. However, the pot calling the kettle black doesn't negate the fact that tax evasion is likely occurring on all parts of the political spectrum. The government banks on such hypocrisy to discredit the opposition. It works.

Norway publishes all tax returns online. It's one of the strongest democratic governments in the world.

Does that mean that everybody can see the tax returns from let's say the Norwegian version of Marcelo Tinelli?

In a democracy the public have a need to know about their elected representatives in order to decide whether or not to re elect them.

The public have no such need to know about the affairs of private individuals.

solerboy said:
In a democracy the public have a need to know about their elected representatives in order to decide whether or not to re elect them.

The public have no such need to know about the affairs of private individuals.

I could care less about how much my elected representive earns only care about the job he does for me.

I do think I have a right to give my opinion on how much state money he earns

El chabon said:
I could care less about how much my elected representive earns only care about the job he does for me.

You don't care about what special interests he may be working for or what groups may have donated gifts to him personally? Particularly for someone running for office, maybe not so much for an incumbent, considering it's so easy for special interests to get money to office holders "legally", at least in the US.

Keep those things private for public officials and it becomes a lot easier to hide things like that.

El chabon said:

I think it tells a lot about a person when they preach about feeding the poor but hoarde their millions in offshore accounts.

Not that I am saying anyone is doing this, its just an example.

Back