Price Comparison Results; Coto, Disco, And Local Fruit Stand

Absolutely great info here. Thank you all SO MUCH. Not that this matters a lot except to me (and perhaps local venders) my commitment is to spend my money in my neighborhood with the moms and pops instead of sending it to France--or somewhere. However I do buy soaps and things like that at the supermercados. You will see me sometimes in Coto or Carrefour buying veggies or fruit if I really need something else there and want to save time. But I normally stock up on bleach and soap, etc., and have it delivered on those rare stock up days. Other than that I buy from local venders, even if I pay a little more. It's the principle. I support my neighborhood. Of course if they ever try to cheat me I don't go back there. But these days I am almost friends with my local venders. And I like it that way!

The sign on my local COTO at Mexico y Pichincha says EL MEJOR PRECIOS SIEMPRE. Best prices always? They need to change the sign to NUNCA. The discounts aren´t real. Yes, you can pay with credit cards, but you pay double. I buy at a chinese grocery on Pichincha 700 so I can afford to eat three meals a day.

Thanks for the comparisons. I pity those living in Recoleta or Palermo where food prices are so much higher than in Balvanera.

Is there a law in Argentina that prevents supermarkets from telling you how their prices compare to the competitors?

In the UK you regularly get Asda, Tesco etc showing 2 trolleys full and saying "for the same price as in the opposition you can get double the amount.... blah blah

stuff like this
fullZZZZZZTVD080925120739PDC.jpg

fullZZZZZZTVC080315115919PIC.jpg

fullZZZZZZTVC090112085243PDC.jpg

Asda-advert-Rollback.jpg

brand_match.jpg

It seems like all the supermarkets in Argentina have a cartel going and aren't interested in competing with one another in prices :huh:

Recently a Consumers Assoc. that publishes prices in super and stores in capital was taken away their non-profit Association legal status by INDEC, claiming their data was incomplete and misleading...!

It irritates me when I see postings that show price differences in capital of over 40% I read them as politically inspired, Moreno followers. Also hearing about the Mercado Central prices is a slap in the face. Wholesale Supermarket prices also are irrelevant for a single person without a van and a freezer...!! However if I walked to Congreso every day and saved 40 % , on some items, would amount to about a US$ 50 savings...! Spare me the effort.

The 2 verdulerías with excellent prices are both in Balvanera / Congreso

La Martina II - Av. Belgrano right off Entre Rios
La Monumental - Av. Entre Rios right off Belgrano

I save about 50% off supermarket prices there, worth any trip from any neighborhood if you buy a lot of produce.

Is there a law in Argentina that prevents supermarkets from telling you how their prices compare to the competitors?

In the UK you regularly get Asda, Tesco etc showing 2 trolleys full and saying "for the same price as in the opposition you can get double the amount.... blah blah

stuff like this
fullZZZZZZTVD080925120739PDC.jpg

fullZZZZZZTVC080315115919PIC.jpg

fullZZZZZZTVC090112085243PDC.jpg

Asda-advert-Rollback.jpg

brand_match.jpg

It seems like all the supermarkets in Argentina have a cartel going and aren't interested in competing with one another in prices :huh:

Same for Holland. There has been a supermarket price 'war' going on for the last 2 yrs that made things very transparant (and cheaper). They should do the same here!

I live in pvca Buenos Aires and don't shop at grocery stores. I'm just looking at my Makro receipt from last week to compare prices to above.

Eggs - 44.76 for 5 dozen so about 9 pesos a dozen.
Banana - 7.80 per kilo (10 per kilo at my local fruit stand)
Cif Cleaner 9 pesos
Milk - 3.98 box (buy by the carton so 10 boxes per carton)
Apples - I buy by the giant box and it's 129 pesos ( I would guess it's easily 15 kilos in the box but I'm not sure)
Chicken - legs/thighs I buy for about 12 pesos a kilo. I got breasts on sale for 23 pesos a kilo 3 weeks ago at Makro, normal prices is 30+.
Oil (sunflower/corn) 102 for 10L bottle so 10.2 per liter

I find our local fruit/veggie place is not much cheaper so I don't tend to make a special trip there.
That seems very interesting. Is that a wholesaler like Costco in the US and if so do they require a paid membership?
Also do they deliver? Thanks

I think supermercados DIA have some of the best prices. Their promotions are great and don't require a credit card.
I am not sure if they are i all neighbourhoods though.

After a month at my home in Italy , I can assure you the prices are cheaper here. I was somewhat surprised , but after comparing prices stated here , it is cheaper in Italy. The quality is excellent , and they have some imported food. Of course , I pay with my Argentine credit card , pay it off in dollars at the blue rate and it is even cheaper. Even if AFIP tacks on 15%......

I find coto always cheaper than disco and sometimes cheaper the the verdularia.

Back