Prices of Electronics Rising?

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
I would think that with the embargo of foreign products that the prices for electronics such as iPhones would be on the rise. I haven't been to the Mac store in the last couple of weeks. Has anyone seen this happening?

Going thru duty free last week at EZE, big poster, unocked iPhone 4s 16gb "On Sale" for only $1200.00 us. Did a double take and about choked on my burrito. Still wondering if my eyes were deceiving me.

dennisr said:
Going thru duty free last week at EZE, big poster, unocked iPhone 4s 16gb "On Sale" for only $1200.00 us. Did a double take and about choked on my burrito. Still wondering if my eyes were deceiving me.

That is (was) about the going rate.:eek:

GS_Dirtboy said:
That is (was) about the going rate.:eek:
Holy sh.. Had no idea. The crazy thing is, this dollar restriction has put a damper on selling electronics and asking for payment in dollars: no dollars to be had. They have succeeded in slowing down the black market in electronics.

Don't know if its relevant but I looked up prices for Macbook Pro 15 inch 2.0 GHz (I think) back in September 2011, it was selling for 12,999 pesos. Checked recently, about two to three weeks ago and it was selling for 15,999 for the same model.

This is from MacStation's website however, so prices there might not reflect the market price. Also, don't quote me on it, its possible that my numbers are not accurate.

However, if I am correct, that's a huge jump in the wrong direction for the same model from 8 months ago.

19% increase in price, and roughly a 5.4% increase in the dollar over the peso from then to now (official rate - 4.23 in 9/2011 4.43 today).
Quite an increase for an imported product that reflects closer to the true inflation rate, rather than what the government has been struggling to control artificially in the dollar/peso value.

ElQueso said:
19% increase in price, and roughly a 5.4% increase in the dollar over the peso from then to now (official rate - 4.23 in 9/2011 4.43 today).
Quite an increase for an imported product that reflects closer to the true inflation rate, rather than what the government has been struggling to control artificially in the dollar/peso value.

Being able to buy a new iPhone is a 1st World problem.

The government (and its main supporters) are not concerned with 1st World problems.

Napoleon said:
Being able to buy a new iPhone is a 1st World problem.

The government (and its main supporters) are not concerned with 1st World problems.

or 3rd World problems. They just like to fill their Swiss bank accounts.

Back