Prices soaring at Mercado Central

va2ba

Registered
My wife and I have made a few trips to mercado central to buy most of the food we need so we can save money. The last trip we made was three weeks ago. My wife went again this morning and found that most of the prices have gone up by at least 80 percent over what they were three weeks ago.

Three weeks ago a kilo of bola de lomo cost 23$. Today, it cost 45$. A kilo of carne picada with no fat was 12$ and now it is 24$. 2 kilos of tomato was 5$ and now it is 8. Green peppers cost 4$ per kilo and now cost 6$ for half a kilo. A kilo of mozzarella cheese now cost 37$ when it was 23$ a few weeks ago.

I have no clue whats going on. Even the most extreme inflation estimates don't account for such a rise in prices.

A few other things caught my wife's attention. There were signs everywhere saying "Clarín Miente" which means Clarín lies (I'll point out that Clarín is the one reporting inflation). You could not buy the Clarín at the newsstand inside Mercado Central. When questioned about why, they said that it was forbidden from being sold there.

There were also a lot of the normal carnicerías and verdurías closed today. Outside of one, there was a sign saying "I want to keep working, but Moreno won't let me." Just in spanish of course. Moreno being the Secretario de Comercio Interior who has a big say (that is, if he doesn't control) the food prices. It may or may not be just a coincidence the the elections were last week and that the runoff election is in two weeks.

The people that were there selling were also saying that there is no inflation, which is odd given the rise in their prices.

Whether this is inflation or a political power play meant to influence the elections, I really don't know. I am very interested to see if there will be a rise in food prices in the city this week.

Thoughts?

I think it's the elections.
This has been a recurring theme since I arrived 10 years ago. Expect some random food price hikes this year, for sure.

That's not to say inflation isn't crazy (as it is) but I think this time around it probably has more to do with elections.

BTW - if you don't mind me asking, what's the mercado central like? Is there more variety than the usual? Worth a trip?

For me, Mercado Central is worth the trip. We can (usually...) save a good deal of money on our food. The variety is great. Theres hundreds of people selling all sorts of things, but it is mostly food. Theres dozens of carnicería and verdurías that offers a pretty wide range of prices for most products. You can get meat that is considerably cheaper than the rest, but it is usually frozen and older. The more expensive meat is fresh and still cost a lot less than your local carnicería.

The only downside is that you really need a car to be able to go. Without a car, it's pretty hard.

Went to Jumbo today... tomato, spinach go up by 50%-60% Meat price is stable. I think it's because of the season.
My favorite Taragui Internacional te 6 varidads went up by 65%... but since the second one gets half price... It's really a 20% up

Isn't this a spam post? The poster did not even reply when asked specifically where this mercado central (that noone seems to know) is located. With certain prices up recently, I need to say that the prices he quotes as of three weeks ago are in reality the prices of more than a year, year and a half ago. Give me a break! A kilo o lomo - 23 pesos and picada - 12 pesos?? jaja!! Your wife must must have real fun in Argentina if time flies that quickly, and 12 months seem like three weeks!! That said, I certainly agree that inflation is way out of control, but then hte dollar is on th erise, too..

oksanache said:
Isn't this a spam post? The poster did not even reply when asked specifically where this mercado central (that noone seems to know) is located. With certain prices up recently, I need to say that the prices he quotes as of three weeks ago are in reality the prices of more than a year, year and a half ago. Give me a break! A kilo o lomo - 23 pesos and picada - 12 pesos?? jaja!! Your wife must must have real fun in Argentina if time flies that quickly, and 12 months seem like three weeks!! That said, I certainly agree that inflation is way out of control, but then hte dollar is on th erise, too..

The prices i quoted are indeed from three weeks ago. I did reply to the comment asking questions about Mercado Central, and it is clear that you have never even been to Mercado Central to have the slightest clue what the prices are there or even the slightest clue what it is.

If carne picada is 12 pesos are MC, then you can safely bet that people buying it in Recoleta or Palermo are paying almost as twice as much. This is especially true considering that just about EVERY carnicería in the city buys the meat that they sell in MC. If you think for a second that they are not marking the prices up, to, you know, make a profit, then you must be out of your mind.

va2ba said:
I did reply to the comment asking questions about Mercado Central,
va2ba give the many uninformed the address of Mercado Central.

It is out of the city near Autopista Ricchieri and Boulogne Sur Mer.

Its the big building and complex that passes on your left just as soon as you get on the highway to go to the airport.

Back