Prices

The issue is not just absolute cost but more importantly value - that is, the relationship of price to quality. I just returned from six weeks in Europe. London and Amsterdam are indeed more expensive than Buenos Aires, but all of Spain (outside of Madrid) is surprisingly much cheaper, especially for things like coffee and beer, which is pretty much 90% of my diet.

Yet none of that matters, because the more expensive food and hotels in Europe and America are incomparably better than anything you can get here. I lived in DC for ten years and routinely feasted on low cost, high-quality ethnic food. Sure, there are obscenely expensive restaurants in Washington and New York, but the bang for the buck is vastly superior. And you can always dine cheap on very good asian, mexican, peruvian, whatever. On the other hand, I have eaten a lot of bad "moderately priced" meals in Buenoss Aires, many of them the oft-celebrated US$15 steaks.

Argentina is a great place, no doubt. But there's no dispute that the VALUE of the experience - the price to quality ratio - relative to other countries is on the decline and in fact may have already hit the disincentive inflection point.

Eternalnewbie said:
By they way, ssr, what do you pay for a nice meal at Peter Luger's?

A lot! And they only take cash or their Peter Luger credit card. And it's out of the way in Brooklyn. And the interior of the place looks like a crappy German beer hall. But dinner reservations are always booked two weeks in advance because of the consistent quality of the food (and the service is great, too).

I'd much rather be able to go to a restaurant with sky-high expectations and have those expectations met (even if it costs me a bit) than deal with Argentine inconsistency. This is what annoys me most about eating out in Argentina; the first visit, or even first few visits, to a restaurant might go well, but then the place could just fall apart and be a total disappointment on subsequent visits. A handful of restaurants that I frequent down there seem to do a decent job of maintaining their standards, but this is rare in Argentina and just can't be expected.

Here is a screen grab of a recent Peter Luger prices.
I didnt go- this is somebody I found online.

So- steak for 2- which most steaks in BsAs are-
$300 pesos.
Makes La Cabrera seem pretty cheap.

"PETER LUGER DINNER PRICES
We had dinner at PETER LUGER last night.
They gave me a menu to take home.I'll share the details

The prices are :
APPETIZER:
* Tomato appetizer for 2 $10.95
* Shrimp Cocktail 4 or 6 shrimp Market Price
* Caesar Salad $ 8.95
* Mixed Green Salad $6.95
* Sizzling bacon $2.50 per slice
MAIN DISH:
* Steak for 2 $ 75.90
* Steak for 4 $151.70
* Fresh fish Market Price
* Lamb Chops ( for one) $36.95
VEGETABLES:
* German Fried Potatoes for 2 $ 9.95
* Creamed Spinach for 2 $6.95

ssr said:
Since I am currently in NYC, let me clear something up quickly: New York is FAR more expensive than Buenos Aires. Those of you who think that prices in BA have jumped to NY levels are being ridiculous. Sure, BA isn't as cheap as it was right after Argentina's economic collapse, but one would have to be a serious douche to hope that Argentina's economy would stay that way forever just so they could continue to eat super-cheap steaks.

@polostar88: You're being ridiculous, my friend. Yes, a good steakhouse in NYC is going to cost you a bit, but there are some damn good steakhouses here. I ate at every damn parilla in Buenos Aires, and went to lots of asados, and nothing in Argentina was ever as memorable as my first visit to Peter Luger's (which I'll be heading to at some point this week for lunch, actually). It's got a Michelin star for a reason. Mmm, Peter Luger's...

Here, read and be jealous:

http://www.peterluger.com/ourstory.cfm

In general I agree with your posts. The food in BA is just awful. Restaurants are inconsistent and sloppy even at the highest levels. It's impossible to get certain things, etc., and for this reason among others (yes I'm food-obsessed) I'm leaving soon. BUT...I'll stand by what I said regarding prices in general...

And as for the steak...well I can't agree. I went to some good steakhouses in NY and at the time I thought I had the best beef (never went to Peter Luger). But even the best US beef isn't as good as Argentinian beef...most US beef is not grass-fed and even when it is, the soil of the Pampas is peculiar. I believe it has high levels of nitrates and this gives the beef here a certain flavor that US beef (or even Uruguayan beef) can't match. And yes, you can strike out on steaks but I've found a few places that consistently serve high-quality cuts, you can get that consistently in BA.

I've NEVER felt full or sick even after eating a 400 gr. Argentinian steak...I could go back and eat another the next day. In the US usually after you eat beef, even good beef, you can't eat beef again the next day.

Also...what about sweetbreads? I love these and can eat them here at a couple of places they're delicious, in the US you can only get them at fancy restaurants and never just grilled.

Ries said:
Here is a screen grab of a recent Peter Luger prices...
...* Tomato appetizer for 2 $10.95...

Hah! Yeah, that tomato appetizer is an obscene rip-off. It's just a tomato! A big, good tomato but, still, just a tomato. So, if anyone happens to be heading to Peter Luger's at some point in the future, do yourself a favor and skip that tomato appetizer. Some people love that damn tomato but I don't understand it myself. It's a ridiculous waste of money.

And, yep, NYC is a lot more expensive than BA. So, if anyone was worried, take comfort in the fact that you're still getting some pretty good deals on steaks down there. They may be flavorless, overcooked hunks of meat of steadily decreasing quality, but they're still relatively cheap!

ssr said:
A lot! And they only take cash or their Peter Luger credit card. And it's out of the way in Brooklyn. And the interior of the place looks like a crappy German beer hall. But dinner reservations are always booked two weeks in advance because of the consistent quality of the food (and the service is great, too).

I'd much rather be able to go to a restaurant with sky-high expectations and have those expectations met (even if it costs me a bit) than deal with Argentine inconsistency. This is what annoys me most about eating out in Argentina; the first visit, or even first few visits, to a restaurant might go well, but then the place could just fall apart and be a total disappointment on subsequent visits. A handful of restaurants that I frequent down there seem to do a decent job of maintaining their standards, but this is rare in Argentina and just can't be expected.

This is one of the big problems here, as I said, I agree with you. In Argentina even if you want to splurge...it doesn't matter...you might still get crap and probably will. One of the most disappointing meals I had was at the Bourgogne, supposedly one of "the best French restaurants in South America..." :rolleyes:

I don't see the point in endless whining about prices. If someones not a citizen here and they can't stop complaining about the country, why don't they just leave ?

If things are too expensive for you here, then just move or learn to live within your means. There are plenty of poor people in Argentina, learn to live like they do and maybe you won't complain about prices anymore.

I actually think that inflation, while it is out of control, still hasn't made it an expensive city compared to other cities in the world. It seems to me the problem is the low salaries that people make here. Most people I know who have local jobs and earn in pesos make somewhere between 2,000 to 3,000 pesos, so of course, if that's all you have the city is going to look ridiculously expensive. If you have dollars or euros and you compare it to other cities in the US and Europe, well, it's not bad. I think it's like anything else, its all a matter of your point of view.

If you can't afford this city, you should leave. No need to rain on everybody else's parade.

Back