Prices

BKK to BA said:
Being an L.A. native...yup born and raised and I couldnt agree more...LA is one of the worst big cities Ive ever been to and I've seen alot of 'em

angry%2Bface.jpg

Oh yeah.

YOU'RE LA PRIVILEGES HAVE BEEN REVOKED

FYL.

This thread began as a comparison of prices in restaurants between then and now, and turned into first a comparison of restaurant prices everywhere, and then prices for anything anywhere.

My experience, which is drastically limited compared with locals and backpacking kids, is that food wherever and however you get it is reasonably priced, certainly compared with the "fully-developed" countries of the US and Europe. The same for real estate and rents. Travel is relatively cheap, as well.

Where one gets the hit is electronics. The markup for all electronics and cell phones is so massive that it must be pretty close to criminal. I think an illustration of this is the thread about buy a TV here or abroad.

Last night 6 (4 guys and 2 girls) of us went to dinner at "LA GRAN TABERNA" on the corner of Hipólito Yrigoyen and Combate de los Pozos (right behind the congreso building. We ordered a huge paella (full of seafood - clams, mussels, calamares, chicken, red peppers, shrimp, fish) for the table and a huge double portion of steak (cuadril a la portuguesa) with papas al natural. All dishes were shared as the food was abundant. Everybody had 1 soft drink and 1 bottle of water (no alcoholic drinks, wine or beer), as well as servicio de mesa, bread, cheese, olives. Including a 10% tip this all came to $330 pesos, yes pesos (about $85 U$D). In New York City, my hometown, I used to pay about $100 U$D for a casual dinner for 2 yes 2 of us at neighborhood restaurants, on the upper west side, and that was about average.

I'm gonna go a little ad hominem here.

I've noticed a pattern from this guy Alex supposedly from LA, I don't know if he's trying to be funny, but he reminds me of the NY Post, he's constantly offensive but never really owns his own quale of an asshole.

This reminds me of the whole anchor baby argument not so long ago. I'd like him to stop being a wuss, accept that you're an asshole, you think and talk like one, and move on. I've never seen somebody really needing a life so badly.

And you know? they're cheap. Even poor people in the country has got one.

Philosoraptor said:

And providing us with the understatement of the week.

What's the matter Philosoraptor? Can't take being owned?

Philosoraptor said:

I've noticed a pattern from this guy Alex supposedly from LA, I don't know if he's trying to be funny, but he reminds me of the NY Post, he's constantly offensive but never really owns his own quale of an asshole.

This reminds me of the whole anchor baby argument not so long ago. I'd like him to stop being a wuss, accept that you're an asshole, you think and talk like one, and move on. I've never seen somebody really needing a life so badly.

I agree, if you are going to post do it when you actually have something to contribute, cut the pictures, they are annoying.

ssr said:
Hah! Yeah, that tomato appetizer is an obscene rip-off. It's just a tomato! A big, good tomato but, still, just a tomato. So, if anyone happens to be heading to Peter Luger's at some point in the future, do yourself a favor and skip that tomato appetizer. Some people love that damn tomato but I don't understand it myself. It's a ridiculous waste of money.

Order the "bacon" as an appetizer. It's an off-menu item and damn good.

As for the comparisons in steaks, the days of raving about BA steaks are over IMHO. I've had some good steaks here, but I've had many more horrible ones. A high-end steak house in NYC or Miami (Peter Lugers, Prime, etc) blows away almost everything here, although you will pay for it.

Let's not forget that BA is losing a lot of their grass-fed beef and within 3-5 years almost all of it will be produced in feed lots.

haha

You're the Venezuelan exile who fled Chavez's gulags right ?? Yeah I'm sure my latest Chavez and Kirchner posts were quite " asshole-ish " to a worm like you, but that's just how I role.

Now, If you think I'm an asshole, deal with it and move on, or don't. Either way, I don't really care.

Philosoraptor said:

gouchobob said:
I agree, if you are going to post do it when you actually have something to contribute, cut the pictures, they are annoying.

AlexfromLA doesn't seem to have much to contribute, hence those vapid pictures. His posts are mostly about the many high-end rental apartments he owns, his intimate knowledge of wildly expensive designer clothes, and other hints about his "wealth". :D

Sounds as phony as a three-dollar bill.

Davidglen77 said:
Last night 6 (4 guys and 2 girls) of us went to dinner at "LA GRAN TABERNA" on the corner of Hipólito Yrigoyen and Combate de los Pozos (right behind the congreso building. We ordered a huge paella (full of seafood - clams, mussels, calamares, chicken, red peppers, shrimp, fish) for the table and a huge double portion of steak (cuadril a la portuguesa) with papas al natural. All dishes were shared as the food was abundant. Everybody had 1 soft drink and 1 bottle of water (no alcoholic drinks, wine or beer), as well as servicio de mesa, bread, cheese, olives. Including a 10% tip this all came to $330 pesos, yes pesos (about $85 U$D). In New York City, my hometown, I used to pay about $100 U$D for a casual dinner for 2 yes 2 of us at neighborhood restaurants, on the upper west side, and that was about average.

I lived on the Upper West Side too, and yes - I figured about $75 for an average dinner for two - without drinks. Add to that:

$3600/month rent
$450 - $500/month parking spot
$38/day parking downtown
$2.50/ride subway fare
$15 - $20/day for lunch
$20 - $30 cover charge at a nightclub
High insurance, taxi fares, etc..

Anyone who compares BA to NYC is out of their mind. Buenos Aires is still a great deal for me! :)

Back