Prisoners Vote As Well

Girino

Registered
It comes as a surprise to me. Do prisoners have a right to vote in your home country?

LA NACION - Elecciones 2017: Ricardo Jaime y Lázaro Báez, los primeros presos K que votaron en Ezeiza - www.lanacion.com.ar/2074598

In the USA, it varies from state to state. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony_disenfranchisement

In the US felons are withheld the right to vote while incarcerated or on parole.

In the US felons are withheld the right to vote while incarcerated or on parole.

...and generally, for life. As far as I have witnessed, they must petition to have their full civil rights reinstated.

...and generally, for life. As far as I have witnessed, they must petition to have their full civil rights reinstated.

In California disenfranchisement ends after incarceration and parole so you are good to go, in 2018, to replace “Moonbeam” with another one.

In California disenfranchisement ends after incarceration and parole so you are good to go, in 2018, to replace “Moonbeam” with another one.

But is it really fair to compare what happens in the actual world with California’s alternate universe, where they’ve banned gravity for discriminating against differently-weighted people?

It comes as a surprise to me. Do prisoners have a right to vote in your home country?

LA NACION - Elecciones 2017: Ricardo Jaime y Lázaro Báez, los primeros presos K que votaron en Ezeiza - www.lanacion.com.ar/2074598

Yes, human beings has rights in this country.

Yes, human beings has rights in this country.

8-year olds have rights too, but we don't let them vote. Society does not deem it appropriate for them to decide their own destiny, much less that of others.

If you do not see the argument for universal suffrage except for people who have been tried before the law and condemned to a prison term, IMHO you've got a problem.

What this country is good at, is deciding whose rights need to be enforced, without too much regard to the consequences vis-a-vis other people (who one assumes also have rights). To quote the famous adage, your right to wave your fist ends where my nose begins.

Back