Private Spanish Tutor for basic Spanish next week?

@Aron your experience at Vamos sounds terrible. I'd definitely recommend leaving honest feedback via a Google review. Now that you've mentioned it, I recall looking at a few of their Google reviews while I was still in Bogota and being turned off by some of their classroom photos, such as this one:

Screenshot_20240112-113501.png

The chairs do indeed look like something out of middle school, and certainly not comfortable for several hours a day. I would want a classroom that looks more like a co-working space (i.e. coffee shop vibes). I took some private classes from a similar "academy" in Bogota, and rather than sit in the classroom my profesora and I would go to lunch (to practice my restaurant ordering skills), or go for a long walk in a safe neighborhood and get "lost" taking random turns so I could practice giving and asking for directions. I found it a lot more interesting than learning in a classroom setting.

If your ML contact doesn't work out, I didn't think of it last night but there is a website called superprof (https://www.superprof.com.ar/) where you can find profesores and instructores for all kinds of subjects, from math and chemistry, to music and fitness. I used the website a while back when I was looking for a fitness instructor. I just went there and searched for "Español para extranjeros" and there's over 2,000 results for Buenos Aires (some I'm sure with qualifications that are excellent, and others that are probably dubious). The thing I liked about superprof is that there is a rating and review system to filter the good from the bad. Most of the top results advertise that that your first session is free, and that they can meet you in a public place or come to your home. The "first session is free" offers would definitely appeal to me as being a low risk way to test the waters, and for me I'd only need 15 or 30 minutes to know whether the profesor/a is someone I would enjoy working with on a daily basis.

Here's a screenshot I just took:

Screenshot 2024-01-12 121524.png

Last edited:
My spanish teacher Mariano, takes 8000 pesos per hour. He can speak English, Germán, French and Italian fluently. He also speaks Swedish ok. He is profesional with clients every day.
His number is +54 9 11 3657 0126. I can really recommend him. He lives in San Telmo and does both online and alive clases.

@Aron your experience at Vamos sounds terrible. I'd definitely recommend leaving honest feedback via a Google review. Now that you've mentioned it, I recall looking at a few of their Google reviews while I was still in Bogota and being turned off by some of their classroom photos, such as this one:

View attachment 9423

The chairs do indeed look like something out of middle school, and certainly not comfortable for several hours a day. I would want a classroom that looks more like a co-working space (i.e. coffee shop vibes). I took some private classes from a similar "academy" in Bogota, and rather than sit in the classroom my profesora and I would go to lunch (to practice my restaurant ordering skills), or go for a long walk in a safe neighborhood and get "lost" taking random turns so I could practice giving and asking for directions. I found it a lot more interesting than learning in a classroom setting.

If your ML contact doesn't work out, I didn't think of it last night but there is a website called superprof (https://www.superprof.com.ar/) where you can find profesores and instructores for all kinds of subjects, from math and chemistry, to music and fitness. I used the website a while back when I was looking for a fitness instructor. I just went there and searched for "Español para extranjeros" and there's over 2,000 results for Buenos Aires (some I'm sure with qualifications that are excellent, and others that are probably dubious). The thing I liked about superprof is that there is a rating and review system to filter the good from the bad. Most of the top results advertise that that your first session is free, and that they can meet you in a public place or come to your home. The "first session is free" offers would definitely appeal to me as being a low risk way to test the waters, and for me I'd only need 15 or 30 minutes to know whether the profesor/a is someone I would enjoy working with on a daily basis.

Here's a screenshot I just took:

View attachment 9424
I enjoyed my classes there and

To be fair to Vamos, I enjoyed my classes there and learned some useful material. It also had some positive social aspects, though much of the student body is more backpacker/hostel and much younger. My instructor, Diego, is knowledgeable and entertained us with stories about his one eyed cat and his love of Warhammer. I found the seats comfortable enough, and I was shocked that I could sit through the half day of classes. The toilets are a must see, likely the same as Evita used.

The feedback and advice is really useful and appreciated. Language learning is a tough and important subject/goal. Different people learn in different ways, and good teachers and curriculum matched to the student makes a major difference.

I hope this thread continues as many are in a similar situation

Hello, guys. I'm a professional language teacher and linguist. My hourly rate is 7USD, the same for foreigners as well as Argentines (I teach English and Spanish as a foreign language). I'm also fluent in Italian in case someone is interested. You can contact me at +54 11 3773 9538. Looking forward to hearing from you, Pedro.

I think it depends alot on the experience of the person ranging from $25usd to even $50 per hour if its something professional. At least that has been my experience.
$25-$50!? These prices do not exist in Argentina for a 1 to 1 teacher. I was just quoted $7 yesterday. A great teacher who taught me years ago. She’s a very professional teacher with years of experience.

For reference, I’m paying 13$us an hour for a teacher who teaches Spanish at UBA. That was at the high end of what I found

Back