Private Spanish Tutors?

jujucita

Registered
Hola! I recently relocated from California to Buenos Aires, and am hoping to improve my language skills over the next few months. I studied Spanish in high school and have had some exposure since, but it's definitely quite different out and about here (not least because of the funky accent ;)).

Does anyone have any recs for good private Spanish tutors? I am looking for someone who is really patient, reliable, and effective (e.g. knows the grammar rules and knows how to teach them) who can help me out with both grammar and conversation.

Any recs would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help!

No advice on local private tutors, but if you want some good material print shops close to UBA locations offer the plastic bound books for purchase. I imagine if you could start with Nivel 2 or 3. Also, you can take the written part of the UBA placement test online, then show for the verbal part so you can see where they place you, then purchase the books from there. They're pretty handy for grammar. You could use them to see what areas you might need a little more focus or clarification with your private tutor. We've use verbling.com for private tutoring (basically, an online google talk session with an Argentine tutor). We've also attended a couple of tourist Spanish schools, University of Belgrano, and UBA. I preferred UBA.

Can you be more specific where the plastic bound books can be purchased? Street and cross streets of print shops?

I know a knowledgeable, patient, reliable private tutor: http://www.proyectosantelmo.com/

Can you be more specific where the plastic bound books can be purchased? Street and cross streets of print shops?

I know a knowledgeable, patient, reliable private tutor: http://www.proyectosantelmo.com/

Across the street from the entrance of Laboratorio de Idiomas on 25 de Mayo at Tte Gnrl Juan Domingo Perón, there is a print shop where students must buy their books (plastic bound books). You ask for the level you want and pay (it was 100 pesos for Nivel 5 in July 2015).

jujucita:
Good luck on your relocation and your desire to improve your Spanish skills.
Only one suggestion I realize that you meant no offense.However,.I would be hesitant to describe the rioplatense accent as "funky".
It is the accent of 80% of the 48 million Argentine plus at least 5 million Uruguayans.
Your ability to speak in it could help speed and facilitate your communication with locals especially over the phone
who are only used to hearing that accent spoken.
also the origin of local and regional accents can be a very interesting part of language learning
Welcome to the forum!

Jujucita,

I have been studying with my private teacher Gabriela Ferrante off and on over the past ten years. She is very effective and will tailor classes to meet your needs. I can't say enough good things about her.

I am also seeking lessons, and I was quoted 350 pesos per hour (for two students) plus travel time. She was recommended to me. I thought it pricey. I'll be looking into Macanudo's recommendation.

Back