Problems in BA

Sorry to hear this happened to you.

To be honest, I don't think you can do much. Even in Canada, as police were not called to the scene, there would likely no legal action to be taken as it's purely one person's word against another significantly after the fact.

Ties, I spoke with a friend of mine who is a lawyer here about your story and I have some advice for you. I would prefer to send it on private message, but you don't have it enabled - maybe you can send me a message? You don't need to just "let this go" - there are actually several things you can do if you would like to pursue it. If you want to know what my friend said, let me know.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Ties it seems that the right thing was not done by you as the staff of Crobar should have called 911 but decided not to as their image is of most importance. I fully believe that you must pursue this as it is an assault and a miscarriage of justice on the part of the Crobar Staff...

In regards to remarks about Buenos Aires and its growing problems in bars and clubs . I do agree that the last few years problems have increased and this is due to the rising drug and alchohol use in the Capital Federal.

Drinking in excess has become socially acceptable in Buenos Aires and its now common to see drunk youth on many street corners of Palermo Viejo , Recoleta , etc etc . The clubs have become of late a minefield of illicit drugs and alchohol and the agressive vibe has increased accordingly.

Saying all that I believe that the USA and Australia are much more agressive in clubs than here and there is more chance of being beaten and attacked by bouncers or patrons in these two countries than Argentina which is a baby just opening its eyes up .

they would LOVE to through a gringo in jail.
This is not true. First in Argentina a gringo is not an American. And second, foreigners from developed countries are treated much more respectful by the police than Argentines or foreigners from neighbour countries.
Stop playing the victim.

Amargo said:
This is not true. First in Argentina a gringo is not an American. And second, foreigners from developed countries are treated much more respectful by the police than Argentines or foreigners from neighbour countries.
Stop playing the victim.

This is very true and certainly the Argentine police treat foreigners ( expats from western countries ) with more respect than you will ever get in many countries.

I have dealt with the police on numerous occasions and found them corteous , respectful and willing to help.

I do agree that it is very different for those from the Andean societies or the local people especially from less priveledged backgrounds

Ties said:
Hola,

I have a story to tell and I am looking for some answers and maybe someone here can help me a little bit further. This is what happened: On new years eve I was with some friends of mine in Crobar for a drink and for I thought a nice evening. When I was there I met a girl and we had some fun together and we decided to go upstairs because downstairs it was really crowded. We had a chat for a while till she decided to go to the bathroom. When she came back, she gave me a drink and she started talking with a guy she knew and this guy was in a group. After I shook some hands with some people I started talking with a girl who was sitting next to me and obviously was part of this group. Suddenly out of nowhere this guy comes along and started shouting at me that I had to leave but I didn't pay any attention. Then his friend came between us and told me I had to leave. I told him that I wasn't going to leave because there was no reason for me to leave. Next thing I know is that in the meantime the other guy grasps a glass or bottle and hit me with it on my head. Inmediately I had to go to the hospital and my head was fixed with approximately 40 stitches. After the hospital I went to the police and a report was made about what happened.

After this you are completely powerless and nothing is being done finding this guy. 1 day after this incredibly cowardly act, I tried to find out what this guy's name was by going back to crobar but all of a sudden no one is there and no one is going to help you.

Now I was wandering, because eventually I found out what his name is and where he came from etc, what is the best thing I can do right now. I found out that he is not from here and because I am not from here either it makes it pretty complicated. Is there someone here who can help me with this and tell me what to do because I really think he has to pay for what he did.

Ties

If you have the money get a lawyer. But I am curious, since you were with "friends" where the hell were they? If my friend took a glass bottle to the head at a bar, I can assure I would have demanded the police be called at the very least. I can't imagine that there are no repercussions against a foreigner who is in all likelihood on a tourist visa. You were assaulted, which last time i checked is a crime. If he isn't a resident the guy should at the very least be deported!

There is no way in hell that you should just let this go! You received 40 stitches! How can you feel safe in Buenos Aires knowing your attacker is out there, walking around like nothing happened?! I understand others on the board are concerned with your safety, but if you do nothing you are still a victim and you have essentially enabled your attacker to harm you or someone else in the future. Who's to say you won't run into him again anyway? The Buenos Aires expat scene is not big. Pursue this! Though it will be harder now since the police were not called to the scene. Good luck.

It won't hurt to check here:

Comisaria del Turista
Av Corrientes 436

They seem to have English interpreters.

You can try your luck but in the end if you don't have any powerful contacts you probably won't be able to do much. People got away with far worse things in this country. Just watch the TV, almost every day you see protests by "familiares pidiendo justicia" (relatives asking for justice) for various victims of accidents, criminals, corrupt cops, unionists, etc.

I once got into a brawl with 3 columbines, one holding me the two others punching me, fortunately they did not punch too hard (did not need any medical attention) and a friend of mine noticed it after a minute or two and helped me. I am not used to this, but the bottom line is to go out with a group of friends, always. Unless you are used to a place, know the staff very well, etc.
And always avoid escalating violence here, the probability of the others having a knife or gun is most probably higher than you are used to.

Back