Problems/suggestions at Iguazu?

GuyinBA

Registered
We're thinking of going to Iguazu in a couple of weeks to see the falls with our two young kids. We read that the walkway out to the Garganta del Diablo was damaged a week ago or so. Anyone know if it's fixed, likely to be fixed or what the status of it is? We don't want to go if we can't go out.

Also, does anyone know what the costs that we can expect to pay there are beyond what appears to be the Foreigner $100 AP entrance charge (less for the kids)? Do you pay for walking out to the Garganta? Do you pay for anything else to see the falls? I read that there's an adventure tour thing that you can pay for that is pretty good (takes you on a boat out to the falls, etc.). Worth it?

Lastly, some decent, clean, affordable hotel recommendations would be much appreciated (that could be kid friendly) for anyone who has gone.

Muchas gracias!

Hey!

We went to Iguazu a few weeks ago and had an amazing time (we actually got engaged while there too)! It is a magical place, you and your family will love it.

The walkway to the Gargantua was open when we were there so I'm not sure about the damage. However, I wouldn't let that deter you from going as there seems to be things that can change depending on the conditions. For example, when we went you were not able to go out to San Martin island as the water levels were too high.

In terms of costs, you have the park entrance fee. Which if you plan to go back the next day you should make sure to get the stamp for the second day discount. You only pay half price then. You don't need to pay for walking out to see the falls but yes, you pay for the adventure tour, food, souvenirs, that kind of thing. We did not take the adventure tour as we felt just seeing the falls was enough. My co-workers who have gone do say that it's worth it though.

We loved the hotel we stayed at. It was recommended to us by another expat (Thanks Joel!). It is Hotel Jardin de Iguazu. Website is: http://www.jardindeiguazu.com.ar/ and the TripAdvisor site is: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...erto_Iguazu_Province_of_Misiones_Litoral.html.

It was a wonderful hotel, very comfortable and kid friendly (it has a pool). It's conveniently located near the bus station which is where you will also get the bus to take you to the park (fyi..bus to the falls is about 40 pesos round trip per person).

The owner, Roberto, was wonderful! He made sure you were having a great time and as you can see from TripAdvisor, he personally responds to each comment. In fact, when he found out we got engaged, he called and made dinner reservations for us at a restaurant down the street and asked them to have champagne there for us.

Hope you have a wonderful time and if there are any other questions, please let me know.

~Sara

Thanks Sara and Lee, and congrats, Sara, on your engagement! Sounds like you had quite a time there! Checked on the Jardin de Iguazu but, unfortunatley, they're booked :( Any other family-friendly hotel recommendations would be much appreciated.

Back