Problems with post from UK

mattinertia

Registered
Hi people. I lost my card here about 3 weeks ago. Since then I've had a new card sent to my mum's house in the UK and she's posted it out here, using air mail. It's not a visa card or anything so if it's lost or stolen there's nothing anyone can do without the pin. But, I've been waiting in my apartment for just over a week now and there's no sign of the card.

I'm not sure how long it should take? The post office in the UK said it would take 5/7 days but I'm also starting to doubt the address which was given to me by the letting agent. Can someone clarify that i've got this address format correct:

MATIENZO **** DEPTO **
(C1426DAT)
Ciudad Aut. de Buenos Aires
Argentina

I've starred out the numbers for security/privacy etc.

Cheers in advance

Matt

I have had my cards stolen a couple of times here and had them reissued from NZ to Argentina. Each time the NZ post said 5-7 days and each time it took between 2 and 3 weeks. The problem is not the UK post I'm sure but the delays at this end. So, maybe it's still on it's way. The usual address format here is...e.g.

Charcas 2500 Depto 10C
Palermo
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires 1234
Argentina

I'm from the UK and the post from there to hear usually takes at least 10 working days...sometimes around three weeks so I wouldn't worry too much at this stage...

mattinertia said:
Hi people. I lost my card here about 3 weeks ago. Since then I've had a new card sent to my mum's house in the UK and she's posted it out here, using air mail. It's not a visa card or anything so if it's lost or stolen there's nothing anyone can do without the pin. But, I've been waiting in my apartment for just over a week now and there's no sign of the card.

I'm not sure how long it should take? The post office in the UK said it would take 5/7 days but I'm also starting to doubt the address which was given to me by the letting agent. Can someone clarify that i've got this address format correct:

MATIENZO **** DEPTO **
(C1426DAT)
Ciudad Aut. de Buenos Aires
Argentina

I've starred out the numbers for security/privacy etc.

Cheers in advance

Matt

Your address format is exactly right. In fact, you've used the long form postal/zip code so that "should" (so they say) make it easier/fast. The long form code is not required, neither is the use of the barrio. I use the short form code.

I use this:

person/company
street name 1111, 4C
CABA 1111
Argentina

and mail arrives just fine.

An overseas letter may take an inordinately long time to come through the system but it usually will arrive in the end. A correctly addressed envelope helps but don't underestimate the ability of Correo Argentino to deliver even incorrect mail. my late mother sent a letter to: {Correct Name}{Old Street Address}{Correct Post Code} Cap Fed, Bs As etc and it turned up in the right place as the delivery office obvously used a little lateral thinking.

I'm assuming you sent it registered or recorded post? If it was not, then I doubt it will arrive. Otherwise the postman/woman will ring the bell as you will need to sign for it on arrival; if you are not at home then they will leave a slip of paper to say you have to pick it up at the post office(you will need to take some form of ID), so if there is a communal letter box for the apartment look for a small slip of paper from the post office (the post person is usually in such a hurry they will scribble the name/apt no. so I doubt it will be too legible).

Also agree it will take at least 10 days to arrive.

Back